We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Australia - Ozy Radio on new 4835 kHz.  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Ron - Calif.

• View Profile
Australia - Ozy Radio on new 4835 kHz.
« on: March 29, 2018, 0109 UTC »
AUSTRALIA. new frequency of 4835 kHz., Ozy Radio, ex: 5045, March 28. Craig's first day here; thanks to Fred Vos's timely
alert in WOR iog, started monitoring at 1009 UTC, only to find strong OTH radar (4810-4885); OTHR still there at 1219;
a check at 1236 had OTHR gone, but seemed like a utility on the high side of 4835, blocked any reception; by 1240 no
longer with any QRM; weak Ozy signal fading in and out (unusable); heard mostly music and occasional announcer (still
unusable); luckily my local sunrise today was at 1359 UTC, so I was able to catch a positive "Waltzing Matilda" at
1406 UTC, after the news, which was the only meaningful detail I could pull in. My brief WM audio at http://goo.gl/1SN6ve .

WRTH Facebook page (March 28):

Craig Allen
4835Khz 1kw Sydney Australia on air 10khz audio bandwidth

Ron, listening at Asilomar State Beach (near Monterey), California
Etón E1, antenna: 100' long wire

Offline Ron - Calif.

• View Profile
Re: Australia - Ozy Radio on new 4835 kHz.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 0433 UTC »
Sent off a report of Craig's first day broadcasting on 4835 kHz. Below is the nice reply.

John Wright <dxer1234@gmail.com>

"Hi Ron, Johno here mate. Okay I can eQSL your reception....OZY RADIO!
1401-1406 28th March 2018 on 4835 kHz.
I picked out the voice of AIR News and the Waltzing Matilda.
Your a first day listener for this frequency of Ozy Radio! So well done!
AIR= Australian independent Radio News.
1000 watts into the inverted V antennae at Razorback near Camden 25 NM SW of Sydney.
Yes Craig is testing this frequency!
Thank you for the information about the interference. Will pass onto Craig."

Offline Ron - Calif.

• View Profile
Re: Australia - Ozy Radio on new 4835 kHz.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 0528 UTC »
AUSTRALIA. 4835, Ozy Radio, March 30 was the best day so far; 1204 (after the news) the usual format of
commercial announcement for radios ("We have thousands of satisfied customers around the world. So why
not join them today?"), followed by laughing kookaburra, then nice "Waltzing Matilda"; followed by former
Australian jazz-rock group,The Southern Contemporary Rock Assembly (SCRA), with "Roly Poly." Any day
that this is strong enough for me to ID a song that I had never heard before, well that's a good day, even
if it's poor reception. My "Roly Poly" audio clip at http://goo.gl/QvPTLH .

At 1220, started to notice a definite second audio that was mixing here with Ozy Radio;
assume was AIR Gangtok (Sikkim); by 1305 could only make out a distinctive het (SAH);
Glenn Hauser (WOR iog) today reported 1229-1234 with SAH, along with Ozy Radio. Was perfect timing to hear audio
from AIR Gangtok, as their local sunset was at 1222 UT. Today was the first time I have heard Gangtok since Craig
started broadcasting here. Gangtok had recently been broadcasting rather erratically, as was not on the air every day.

Ron, listening at Asilomar State Beach, California, USA
Etón E1, antenna: 100' long wire

Email received 0456 UTC, on March 31, from Craig (owner and operator of Ozy Radio):

"Hi Ron - Thanks for the report. I knew AIR 4835khz may cause some problems but ABC Australia used
4835khz for the last 40 years and a lot of HF radios in Australia have this frequency pre tuned into there
radios and the ABC still advertise this frequency on there website so it's a win win.

Craig Allen
OZY RADIO"

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns