We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: CH 6 superbowl channel received in Latin America  (Read 2200 times)

Offline FFM

• View Profile
CH 6 superbowl channel received in Latin America
« on: April 03, 2018, 2323 UTC »
A catch of the superbowl channel here in Latin America (Chile), I don't know if they operate with 50 KW or if they use super high gain antennas...

How do they solve the problem with silence zones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldl5Xf7S68Q
TRYING TO BUILD MY OWN TX, LISTENING TO THE AIRWAVES.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: CH 6 superbowl channel received in Latin America
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 1528 UTC »
Interesting prospective from down there, where I suspect that it is Transequatorial Propagation. That Superbowl CH 6 is a 24 hour pissing contest of 400% modulation and I understand that they MAX OUT those linear amps to thousands of watts, with AM splatter heard all the way to Trucker's CH 19 at times. Still, I use CH 6 as a tool. If there is any hint of F2, Transequatorial, or Sporadic E, propagations, CB CH 6 is the first hint of an opening. I actually had a CB friend tell us to follow him to CH 6 and he told us to just listen, this was back in the mid-1990's. At first, totally dead. Then the friend keyed up with 300W and about 200% MOD and yelled racial comments for a minute straight. The next thing was that the channel just exploded with pissed off Mudducks rebuking him. Wow!!!! This was done in the middle of rural nowhere of Western New York. Got to admit, that was a neat experiment.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 1400 UTC »
FFM,

Next time you hear activity on 'The Bowl' (27.025) - try these 11 meter frequencies for activity from North America:

27.085 - Channel 11
27.165 - Channel 17
27.225 - Channel 22
27.265 - Channel 26
27.285 - Channel 28

All in AM mode.  Channel 11 [27085 AM] is the original calling channel from when CB was only 23 channels.  Lots of the "mud ducks" that operate older vintage gear use 23 channel equipment and hang out on 6 and 11.  26 and 28 are also known to pop up when the band is active with Sporadic-E activity.

Tuning 25615-28000 is a great time when the band is open.  Always funny to hear the advertisements being broadcast on 27.185 / CB channel 19 coming over the thousands of on-going QSOs on that frequency at any given time
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Another good one, when the 11M band opens up is CH 38 LSB (27.385MHz.) Locally, evenings where I am see LSB activity on CH 39 (27.395MHz.). QSO's there are not so much skip, but talking regionally to the near by counties and bordering states. However, when skip happens, LSB CH 38 seems to be the big goto channel now a days.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 1802 UTC »
Channel 38 27.385 MHz LSB 27385 kHz LSB is the de facto official North American SSB calling frequency for 11 meters.  I've worked several European stations on 27.385 LSB during really good band openings. 

The locals here generally use 38 LSB or an out-of-band frequency a few "channels" above channel 40 as their "standby" frequency - depending on how busy the band is.  If its quiet, then they stick around on 38 LSB and use it for calling and their local chat channel.  There's locals who hang out on channel 33 AM that'll sometimes drop down to 33 LSB when the band is busy and QRM is rolling in.  Lots of activity on CH 38 LSB is a good indicator that the frequencies above channel 40 will be busy with SSB activity too.  I've also noticed SSB operators "sliding" in-between channels in the upper portion of the legal 40 CB band.  I've worked DX on 27.390 MHz LSB and 27.400 MHz LSB before.  There seem to be some high power stations in California that do, or did, hang out on 27.370 LSB as their own "private" channel. 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline FFM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 1745 UTC »
R4002,

Thank you very much for this information, the CB it's a very interesting band, many things for listen to... Thank you again for the given frequency recommendations and 73.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 1651 UTC »
One of those fools in Omaha was splattering 2m with spurs till the Omaha HAMs caught hold of him. HAM police be policin yo.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline FFM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 0130 UTC »
Josh,

High powered transmission don't disturb me, but when they don't calibrate well their own rigs:  >:(.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns