We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: elevated vertical antenna -- radials?  (Read 1631 times)

bandarr3000

elevated vertical antenna -- radials?
« on: April 12, 2018, 0048 UTC »
I plan on installing a 20 meter vertical antenna, since my lot size is small.  I have a large tree in the middle of my back yard and around that tree is a platform/treehouse with the deck about 10 feet above the ground.  I can secure a telescoping mast to the deck and trunk below it, giving me the chance to mount the vertical starting at about 30 feet above the ground (I've taken into account branches and swaying, etc.).  Since this would be high above the ground my takeoff angle would be low which would be nice for dxing.  The question is: since it's so high above the ground, are radials practical?  It seems like the radials would radiate themselves.  Or, do I just need a good ground? Thanks.

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
Re: elevated vertical antenna -- radials?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 1125 UTC »
Radials wont actually 'Radiate' but are needed to balance the system.

Since they are elevated they will need to be tuned, i.e the correct length.

You can slope them down at and angle and use them as guys for the mast too.

Try and fit a 5/8 if you can BTW.

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 2138 UTC »
Radials enhance overall performance, try it with radials and then again without, you will see what I mean... ;)
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 0712 UTC »
It won't work Without radials as they're half of the antenna! It's just a (vertical) dipole, simple as...
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns