We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Telescoping Antenna Mast  (Read 2033 times)

bandarr3000

Telescoping Antenna Mast
« on: April 25, 2018, 2131 UTC »
I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with telescoping antenna masts and their strength under high winds (50 mph+).  I would like to put a 25 foot telescoping antenna mast in concrete, to get my sky loop about 20 feet off the ground.  Would I need guy wires?  Can I use plain old Quikcrete or do I need something else? 

Another question:  Does anyone use an antenna rotor with a telescoping antenna mast?  I have an Alliance U-100 that seems like it might be a bit heavy for the mast. 

I'm also considering a tilt-down pole between 4x4s.  Anyone ever done that or know if that's a better way to go?  I would be able to get a stronger pole in that way, and wondering if I would need guy wires in that case.

Lots of questions.  Thanks for your time.  Your disclaimers regarding safety and proceeding at my own risk are understood. :-)

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
Re: Telescoping Antenna Mast
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 2232 UTC »
A friend of mine had a hex-beam on a 40 foot telescoping mast for several years without problems.
He used a medium duty Hygain rotator to rotate the entire structure (rotated the entire mast with the antenna on top) without any problems.
He did use a thrust bearing to remove the vertical weight from the rotator.
The rotator and thrust bearing were mounted on a 4X4 wooden post, with about 2 feet of the post in the ground with quickrete.

He basically copied what is described on this site:
 http://www.hex-beam.com/the-mast/

His post was not as tall as the one in the article (I believe his was an 8 foot post overall length)

Guy wires are certainly needed for anything over 30 feet.  Below that, it depends how much wind load or side load you have on the mast but I recommend guying to prevent bending of the mast.
A word of caution - slight bends in the mast will result in the telescoping sections getting in a bind (not being able to lower or raise the mast).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 2243 UTC by refmo »
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.

bandarr3000

Re: Telescoping Antenna Mast
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 0122 UTC »
Thanks refmo.  I would never have thought about putting the rotor at the base of the pole.  That's pretty smart.  Also, mounting the pole to a 4x4 is a great idea.  Adds a lot of flexibility for a design.  The hexbeam will be my "someday" antenna.  This got my creative juices flowing.  Thanks again.