We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: MASSIVE QRM Tonight?  (Read 3794 times)

Offline CaptnKliegle

• Seacoast of NH
  • Is this thing on?
    • View Profile
MASSIVE QRM Tonight?
« on: April 17, 2018, 0128 UTC »
Not just on one SDR RXR, but even on those 12 miles away. Guess there will be no listening tonight?

Anyone else seeing/hearing this?
Seacoast of NH  RXR's =3 X SDR-iq's, 1 x SDRPlays, and 11 AirspyHF+'s . TXR's = 2 X TS-590S,  ANAN200D, 2 x IC-7300's, IC-7610, 2 X IC-7100. Antennas = Resonant wire dipoles, 120' end fed wires, or 2 X SteppIR 3 ele beam @ 70' fixed NE/SW directions. Also host Remotehams.com servers (RX/TX) as well as SDR Console servers V3.xx (RX Only) too!

Offline CaptnKliegle

• Seacoast of NH
  • Is this thing on?
    • View Profile
Re: MASSIVE QRM Tonight?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 0131 UTC »
Close up view:
Seacoast of NH  RXR's =3 X SDR-iq's, 1 x SDRPlays, and 11 AirspyHF+'s . TXR's = 2 X TS-590S,  ANAN200D, 2 x IC-7300's, IC-7610, 2 X IC-7100. Antennas = Resonant wire dipoles, 120' end fed wires, or 2 X SteppIR 3 ele beam @ 70' fixed NE/SW directions. Also host Remotehams.com servers (RX/TX) as well as SDR Console servers V3.xx (RX Only) too!

Offline darrink1

• Midwest region
    • View Profile
    • ke9ns
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 0349 UTC »
Strong in Chicago. Looks to be ~30khz wide.
Glad I'm not the only one seeing this. I thought something happened to my radio. :)

Someone is burning up a lot of wattage
Flex 5000a with G5RV(160m-10m) & tri-band yagi antennas
PowerSDR ke9ns v2.8.0.159

Offline Matt_B

• Southwestern CT, USA
    • View Profile
    • Radio Free Connecticut
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 0446 UTC »
Not just on one SDR RXR, but even on those 12 miles away. Guess there will be no listening tonight?

Anyone else seeing/hearing this?

Damn....the hell? Gotta check this out after my music stream ends.  :-O
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 0452 UTC by Matt_B »
Matt Boland
Southwestern CT
Owner/Operator, "Radio Free Connecticut"
PS4: JupBol16

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 1052 UTC »
Looks like a digital signal of some sort, Token might have an idea?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline CaptnKliegle

• Seacoast of NH
  • Is this thing on?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 1056 UTC »
I also jumped on various sdr.hu servers, and it was the strongest here in the NE. Not heard in Iceland, weak in VA, but loud on most RXRs in MA, and NH.

Readings on that system are not too consistent though, for it depends upon the antenna connected. Many are not described too well, so you have no idea if you are on a 7 foot whip or a 160M dipole.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 1301 UTC »
I wasn't listening to SW last night, but the MW band was much more watery than usual around 10 pm. EDT while listening to the Midwest powerhouses carrying MLB finishing up games after I got home. I put it down to the spring storms ripping across the country, but on reading this, I'm not so sure.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 1606 UTC »
Late to the party, but I did see it on my waterfall last night. Not for the first time, either, but it's been a few weeks since I last saw it. I think it was more around 6880 at the time but I don't generally log utes, OTHR, or other stuff like that, no matter how big it is, so I can't remember.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 1721 UTC »
I woke up in the middle of the night here in Italy (~0200-0300 UTC, I think) and heard it. Its not as strong as what the original poster shows but clearly there.

It looks like a multicarrier signal. I have seen/heard things like this on HF before but perhaps not quite this wide.
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline CaptnKliegle

• Seacoast of NH
  • Is this thing on?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 0130 UTC »
Here's another one, still 30 kHz wide, but no discernible modulation. Just white noise

7665 kHz thru 7695 kHz  S9 on a 160M inverted vee at 98'
Not immediately local, same results on another 160m RXR 12 miles to the north of me.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 1558 UTC »
In the heyday of the Lincolnshire Poacher they would show up around 6957 kHz. with a strong carrier much like that, just before the recorder music and the message. A lot of times they would throw a whopper of a carrier in that region, then show up on another freq. The Poacher wasn't a constant source of noise. They'd do their thing and shut down.

I'm wondering if the current dust-up with Putin and Assad isn't partially to blame for this one? Post the WTC attack in '01 a powerful data station set up on 6950. It and a legal station in Chile on 6955 kHz. are what caused the "Great Pirate Migration of 2001" to 6925. The data station was normally 20 kHz wide at S meter pegging levels. I hated that thing.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 1713 UTC »
It looks like a spread spectrum sig but must admit I haven't run the bat computer on it.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 2208 UTC »
I am pretty sure this is 4G ALE (WBALE), wideband data (up to 120 kbs, but 48 kb is common).  Harris, Rockwell, L3, and a few others have been playing with this for a few years now, and it has been showing up more and more all up and down the bands.  All of them have experimental licenses that allow this mode in the frequency ranges shown in these images.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 1632 UTC »
A recording would help to pick it apart. It looks a bit too Gaussian to me to be the typical ale wideband mode, they have a flat top to the sig.

Tony is doing a piece on the ale wideband;
http://i56578-swl.blogspot.com/2018/04/wbhf-comms-in-9-mhz-band-188-110cd.html
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 0142 UTC »
A recording would help to pick it apart. It looks a bit too Gaussian to me to be the typical ale wideband mode, they have a flat top to the sig.

Tony is doing a piece on the ale wideband;
http://i56578-swl.blogspot.com/2018/04/wbhf-comms-in-9-mhz-band-188-110cd.html

That is one type, I have seen at least two different types, three if this is one, although admittedly it is not one I have seen before.

Yes, I noted the shape, and that being atypical for data.  And it is a better shape for a none rectangular pulse radar transmission, but without a bit more information, like a recording, I really have no idea.  I hesitate to suggest a radar, being a radar guy that is kind of my go-to answer, you know, when your favorite tool is a hammer everything looks like a nail, so I wanted to avoid jumping to "radar" as a suggestion.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns