We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Some more adventures in RFI reduction  (Read 1276 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Some more adventures in RFI reduction
« on: April 19, 2018, 2137 UTC »
One issue I have with copying the ISS SSTV transmissions on 145.8 MHz is that I had lots of RFI right on the frequency. It also appeared on 11m, although somewhat weaker.  I traced it to the ethernet wiring in the shack, by using the AirSpyHF+ connected to the laptop, and with just a small whip antenna (I use this setup often for sniffing around the house for RFI sources).

I have 4 computers, plus a WiFi router to cover the upstairs, and a weather station all plugged into the switch. There's also ethernet cables going to the netSDR and AFE822x SDRs. I don't use WiFi here as the cablemodem  and main WiFi router are downstairs at the extreme other end of the house, the signal strength is low. Plus wired ethernet is higher speed. The cable that runs from the switch to the main router was already shielded (since part of it runs outside the house, and it is a long run, 100 ft).

I decided to take a gamble, and replace the switch, as well as all the other ethernet wiring with shielded cables. This would also be an opportunity to upgrade to a faster switch, the old one was 100 Mb.  I bought a gigabit switch (tp-link TL-SG108), which not only has shielded ports, but is also in a metal box. I hoped that would further reduce RFI. And indeed that's the case, the RFI issue on 145.8 MHz is almost completely gone. What remains is from the WiFi router up here, which happens to be located near the window that the VHF/UHF discone is mounted outside. I think moving the router further away may help with that. And it is completely gone on 11 meters.

And as a bonus, with the faster switch, my download speeds went from 90 Mb to 180 Mb.  ;D

If you still use wired ethernet, you may want to investigate if this is a source of RFI.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Some more adventures in RFI reduction
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 2247 UTC »
Thats why I buy commercial switches and routers in metal boxes....with rack ears :)

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 1305 UTC »
It's a never ending battle; congratulations!
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 1317 UTC »
It's a never ending battle; congratulations!

Thanks. Now I am dealing with some critter that chewed through the cat6 cable that runs out to the crossed parallel loop. It really is a never ending battle.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns