We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 6739 USB...EAM?  (Read 3970 times)

Offline [tRMZ]

• MI's Copper Country
    • View Profile
6739 USB...EAM?
« on: April 23, 2018, 1450 UTC »
Hey guys I'm new and this is my first post. I'm sorry if i'm posting this in yhe wrong place...
Well I enjoyed listening to the EAM stuff that was goin on a cpl mnths ago...and just now,  at approx 14:40z...I was scanning thru that band and I think I caught the tail end of another EAM transmission. I stopped @ 6740 and I heard SSB but before I could tune that in, transmission ended.

But I think I heard a guy reading phonetics. Like they do. Eh? Whaddya think?

Im using •Grundig Satellit 750•...also have a •Kaito 1103•
--------------------------------------
Upper MI's Copper Country
•Grundig Satellit 750• w/wire-clip
•Kaito 1103• w/wire-clip EXT ant
•Uniden BC125AT•
•Uniden BCD436HP•
2 •GE 3-5980A handheld CB•

(I got another EXT SW antenna but haven't taken it out of the box just yet!)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: 6739 USB...EAM?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 1713 UTC »
Yes, that's one of the USAF HFGCS (aka EAM) frequencies, along with 4724, 8992, 11175, 13200, and 15016 (all USB mode).

Assuming that you're in the USA or Canada, try all those frequencies when you hear one, even if the time of day would dictate that a frequency is not suitable (that is, 4724 in daytime or 15016 at night) because some will sound better than others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Frequency_Global_Communications_System
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline [tRMZ]

• MI's Copper Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 2102 UTC »
Oh cool thanx MDK2...I've only been into SW for a cpl yrs. My dad did "important" reseach about class E amplifiers in the 1980s so most of what I kno is informally taught by him (WA8MAM)
Wow I didn't realize the "HFGCS" was on SW...I figured like it was ultra-high freq digital shit. I didn't kno that's what I was hearing on 6739 :-)

Btw I am in Upper Michigan, in the Keweenaw Peninsula. I seem to get best overall reception on Quincy Hill in Hancock MI :-) THNX for the help guys. I LOVE this site!
•Uniden BC125AT•
•Uniden BCD436HP•

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 2223 UTC »
Hey guys I'm new and this is my first post. I'm sorry if i'm posting this in yhe wrong place...
Well I enjoyed listening to the EAM stuff that was goin on a cpl mnths ago...and just now,  at approx 14:40z...I was scanning thru that band and I think I caught the tail end of another EAM transmission. I stopped @ 6740 and I heard SSB but before I could tune that in, transmission ended.

This is the right place to post it.

As far as "the EAM stuff that was goin on a cpl mnths ago", not sure what EAM stuff you mean a couple of months ago.  EAMs happen every day, typically multiple times a day.  Some new listeners erroneously think they can tell how "hot" world events are by the EAM traffic levels on the HFGCS network.  To date that has never really worked out.  Since the meaning of the traffic is indecipherable (as is the message itself) you never know if you are hearing "real" traffic or if it is padding or training stuff.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 0015 UTC »
Oh cool thanx MDK2...I've only been into SW for a cpl yrs. My dad did "important" reseach about class E amplifiers in the 1980s so most of what I kno is informally taught by him (WA8MAM)
Wow I didn't realize the "HFGCS" was on SW...I figured like it was ultra-high freq digital shit. I didn't kno that's what I was hearing on 6739 :-)

Btw I am in Upper Michigan, in the Keweenaw Peninsula. I seem to get best overall reception on Quincy Hill in Hancock MI :-) THNX for the help guys. I LOVE this site!

You're welcome. Like Token says, it's hard to say what any of it means. I know a lot of military coms occurs on VHF now, and if you find the VHF/UHF board you'll see regular poster Josh keeping a log of what he hears there. But the EAM's are fun to listen for.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 1854 UTC »
When "Gulf War; The Mini Series" started in 1991, the eam that let the world know festivities had commenced was a 130 element eam. Sometimes the long ones are not training. Prior to that there were warnings regarding detected scud missile launches, always fun. War, uh, what is it good for?
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline [tRMZ]

• MI's Copper Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 2224 UTC »
alright Token I just simply didn't realize how frequent these transmissions are. I understand the msg is indecipherable and may be just for testing.
But! Check this out! I heard the (now familiar) USAF HFGCS for the first time about...well it was probly 2016...I kno it was October. I only had the Kaito then, and I heard them on

9940 KHz LSB (could've been USB but I wrote down LSB so that's probly accurate)

I swear it was them...I remember the guy kept saying "NOVEMBER DELTA TANGO. THANK YOU. THANK YOU MA'AM. NOVEMBER DELTA. THANK YOU. THANK YOU MA'AM" :-D

but 9940 isn't included in the list you gave me MDK2 (which was awesome,  thanx!). So...are you aware of that? I only heard it once @ that freq...but I kept checking back and they always had a beacon going for awhile. Do you guys kno what's up w that?

And yeah, as far as gauging world events thru numbers transmissions...all I kno is, the Cuban Lady...well geez there's not enough Cubans in the world to receive those msgs! If I were running a #s station, I'd send out dummy msgs all the time. I'd also transmit in different languages. So the way I see it, some of those MUST...some MUST be for Russians, or Chinese...cuz all you gotta learn is how to count to 10 en Español, and u can get the msg! Now...I did notice after the re-embargo...man those msgs have gotten longer! I kno it's probly coincidence or even merely my impression.

So, what's up w 9940 KHz?  Plz take my word for it I'm SURE I heard it ONCE and then only beacons for awhile. I kno bcuz I wrote it down. I like the EAM stuff; I did not know they transmit so regularly :-)
•Uniden BC125AT•
•Uniden BCD436HP•

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 2326 UTC »
I couldn't tell you what that was. Sounds like a freebander goofing around, but that's just a gut reaction.
Denver, CO.

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 1555 UTC »
I couldn't tell you what that was. Sounds like a freebander goofing around, but that's just a gut reaction.
I agree with MDK2 - I've heard similar goofing around by freebanders TXing fake EAMs - have even heard fake E10s recently - fun fun fun......
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 1739 UTC »
During the President BusyPants (Billy Jeff Clinton) attack on Serbia in the 90s, the Serbs jammed or tried to jam 11175, by some guy making cracks about NATO. Lol. Most current ew capabilities are geared towards v/uhf/microwave freqs, specifically targeting radar and telemetry (drones an such) as well as cellular systems and lmr, not so much hf ssb comms, but some ew suites have the ability to cause trouble for hf sigs. Right now, Russia is using Syria as a ew testbed, causing trouble for our drones as well as our ew aircraft and jamming moderate isis (fsa) radio comms.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 0148 UTC »
alright Token I just simply didn't realize how frequent these transmissions are. I understand the msg is indecipherable and may be just for testing.
But! Check this out! I heard the (now familiar) USAF HFGCS for the first time about...well it was probly 2016...I kno it was October. I only had the Kaito then, and I heard them on

9940 KHz LSB (could've been USB but I wrote down LSB so that's probly accurate)

I swear it was them...I remember the guy kept saying "NOVEMBER DELTA TANGO. THANK YOU. THANK YOU MA'AM. NOVEMBER DELTA. THANK YOU. THANK YOU MA'AM" :-D

but 9940 isn't included in the list you gave me MDK2 (which was awesome,  thanx!). So...are you aware of that? I only heard it once @ that freq...but I kept checking back and they always had a beacon going for awhile. Do you guys kno what's up w that?

<<<snip>>>

So, what's up w 9940 KHz?  Plz take my word for it I'm SURE I heard it ONCE and then only beacons for awhile. I kno bcuz I wrote it down. I like the EAM stuff; I did not know they transmit so regularly :-)

The list of freqs provided are not the only freqs you might hear EAMs on, they are just the most common, the "everyday" freqs.

With that said, the format you posted does not look like EAM style traffic to me, more like CAP or something like that, or yes, even some freebanders.  It is not just the military that uses NATO phonetics.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline kris

• Marconi Class DXer
  • N.Poland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 2213 UTC »
~~21.00 UTC OM EN speeling MSG
2103 "this is trifox?" TRX off
I heard them not the first time.
S 5 wide USB
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 2217 UTC by kris »
RX888 ( SDR-FE-PLAY, HRD-747, Sony XDR-F1HD),
Ant. Sky Loop 180m 15m AGL, Sky Loop 120m 35m AGL
       + QRM X-phase eliminator
QTH: Gdańsk N.Poland  Ru/Sp/Gr/Sb=Russian,Spanish,Greek,Serbien
eQSL appreciated to: 13krzycho@gmail.com

Offline [tRMZ]

• MI's Copper Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 1348 UTC »
I agree with MDK2 - I've heard similar goofing around by freebanders TXing fake EAMs - have even heard fake E10s recently - fun fun fun......

Thnx bcuz it's been nagging at me since I found out it probly wasn't USAF! But with a freebander...any idea why I heard a beacon there for wks? It was 9940 KHz LSB and I was SO thrilled to hear that! So I kept checking back and...*beep*...*beep*...*beep*...
so that made me think it WAS real...bcuz of the beacon
•Uniden BC125AT•
•Uniden BCD436HP•

Offline [tRMZ]

• MI's Copper Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 1351 UTC »
Quote from: [tRMZ
link=topic=41988.msg155336#msg155336  the format you posted does not look like EAM style traffic to me, more like CAP or something like that, or yes, even some freebanders.  It is not just the military that uses NATO phonetics.

T!

Hey Token, what is CAP? Got a link I can look it up?
•Uniden BC125AT•
•Uniden BCD436HP•

Offline prldx

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 1555 UTC »
what is CAP?

US Civil Air Patrol

Patrick
Rx: AR7030 / Perseus
Ant: MK-1

"Radio was an exciting new invention that made it possible to hear other people´s voices in your living room without the use of thin walls or a devastating mental condition" (Cunk on Britain Ep 4)

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns