We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: LPAM proposals, studies, and map.  (Read 1925 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
LPAM proposals, studies, and map.
« on: April 27, 2018, 1659 UTC »
Neat link to check out the somewhat growing interest in an expanded licensed LPAM movement. I say expanded, since we have a working (Watered down.), LPAM model in TIS stations. Then, you have Part #15 AM stations. All covered via this page and links,   http://recnet.com/?q=lpam    In my mind, LPAM could cover as well, if not better than LPFM in various areas, especially Geographically filtered areas, (a.k.a. hills and valleys.). What do ya think? I still believe that a 10W LPAM station would work in various areas. I still say, if the FCC wants AM Revitalization, let us have it! (Thank you Boomer for sharing this info!)
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ThElectriCat

• Hillsboro OR
    • View Profile
Re: LPAM proposals, studies, and map.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 1817 UTC »
I love the Idea of LPAM, but it is , unfortunately, a double edged sword. 
The AM broadcast band is clogged with hundreds of identical syndicated programs, and in major markets, only the strongest stations are listenable. As much as I would love to see small, local broadcasters making real shows run by real people, the AM band just cant hold any more. what needs to be done is a reduction in force. The FCC needs to lay down some stipulations for AM license renewal, stipulations such as the broadcasting of original, local content, which is not also being broadcast on FM.  This would allow receivers to be widened back up to a 10 Khz bandwidth, rescuing the audio from its current, telephone like, poor quality. The preference toward local contend would also favor low power over high power, and independent over conglomerate. and over all, would be a better "revitalization" of the AM band that any amount of deregulation. 

P.S, I don't have any objection to simply disregarding the FCC rules, and I am not saying pirate radio is bad, just that even pirates need to be stewards of the limited radio spectrum we have.
In another life, I could have been a telephone engineer.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 1911 UTC »
I love the Idea of LPAM, but it is , unfortunately, a double edged sword. 
The AM broadcast band is clogged with hundreds of identical syndicated programs, and in major markets, only the strongest stations are listenable. As much as I would love to see small, local broadcasters making real shows run by real people, the AM band just cant hold any more. what needs to be done is a reduction in force. The FCC needs to lay down some stipulations for AM license renewal, stipulations such as the broadcasting of original, local content, which is not also being broadcast on FM.  This would allow receivers to be widened back up to a 10 Khz bandwidth, rescuing the audio from its current, telephone like, poor quality. The preference toward local contend would also favor low power over high power, and independent over conglomerate. and over all, would be a better "revitalization" of the AM band that any amount of deregulation. 

P.S, I don't have any objection to simply disregarding the FCC rules, and I am not saying pirate radio is bad, just that even pirates need to be stewards of the limited radio spectrum we have.

Well put!

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 2157 UTC »
Not to show how much older than the hills I am, I can remember when just about every little town over five hundred people had a PW daytimer. I called them "Obituary stations" because when they came on, they ran the national anthem, gave the call, the station info, ran the news, then the DJ would be read the obits from the morning paper. Then it was on to whose livestock was on what road.

When it was football and basketball season they got to run over game nights and those towns lived and died on those away games coming in live to that little radio station pushing out maybe all of the 6 watts it was allowed. If you were lucky you could hear the game all across town.

They worked well for those little towns as would a ten watt daytime service in spread out areas of the country today. On the fringes of large city they would get plowed under, no doubt about it, but it's really apples and oranges as to what fits best where.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 1825 UTC »
Pigmeat, I've witnessed more than one 'daytimer' or 'reduced power at night' stations running full non-directional or daytime power at night, at least until the ball game was over.  You are right about them living and dying by local sports, thats were the money is.

+-RH

Offline staticlistener

• south central PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 1958 UTC »
In my opinion, the way the FCC is handling AM "revitalization" is a complete joke, not to mention a failure. All it has accomplished is stuff 10 pounds of crap (AM on FM translators) into a 5 pound bag (the FM band). If I were there making some decisions, well I definitely wouldn't be making any friends with some broadcasters but here's how I would handle it: First round, make all clear channel frequencies back into an actual clear channel. If you're on a clear channel and aren't a class A, get off. Review the licenses of all those that were displaced from a clear channel frequency, then determine if they are fit to be relocated elsewhere or if it would be beneficial to all on the band and just make them go dark Especially pay attention to stations that have been running on STAs forever and basically can't get their act together. Second round, look at the remaining class B and D stations on non-clear channels and review those licenses, same deal, look at the history and determine whether or not to "clean house" and eliminate some licenses. I wouldn't do anything with class Cs since they are pretty much already limited as it is, just let them hammer it out as they are. Doing that should free up some of the band on AM and FM since some of those AM licenses anymore are just being used as a foot in the door to get on FM. In this area I have rarely heard an AM on FM translator brand themselves by the AM frequency, as soon as they get that translator license they abandon all mention of the AM and just act like FM is the only thing they have. I know of a case in this area where the AM has been running on an STA since 2014 for temporary facilities because they lost their transmitter site and just happened to put a translator on the air around the same time. Also have an LPFM around here that was built in a rather bad spot (well it would be a great spot if we didn't have hills, they're over height and have to cut power) and suffers from terrain blockage to some of their coverage area. Wasn't too bad until a week after they sign on one of those translators comes on on the same frequency and is in just the right spot to light up a great signal into the very spot the LPFM suffers in, when you can practically see the tower, but are just outside of the 60 dbu contour so FCC won't do anything (LPFM filed complaints against the translator but then was unable to actually prove they had legitimate listeners in the area that the interference occurs in, so FCC threw it out). It is getting to the point where there is not going to be much use in listening to either broadcast band if this garbage continues, and I haven't even touched on the FCC actually growing a pair and telling manufacturers to clean up their act when it comes to RFI, that's a pipe dream. Frankly, with the way that broadcasters are abandoning HF, that might actually be the refuge that some of these non-commercial/community broadcasters need to escape to, if the audience is willing to follow them there.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 2004 UTC by staticlistener »
Shelby Brant
Harrisonville, PA
Icom 718, EAC R-390A
60 ft. endfed wire

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 2012 UTC »
In addition to that, the commission needs to allocate spectrum on FM for commercial operations with a large amount of real estate to cover, like Drive-ins and campuses.  Something like a 'super part-15' that allows 1-5 watt or less and allow time share frequency agreements so during daylight hours, the frequencies can be used by others.

+-RH

Offline staticlistener

• south central PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 2045 UTC »
Easiest way to accomplish that is just let them use 87.9 for that, since there's only like 2 stations on that frequency in the entire country, if they're even still on the air/using that frequency. if you have two groups wanting to use that frequency in a close geographical area, well that could be a problem and that's where timesharing would come in, but for the most part 1 watt on 87.9 would accomplish most of what you say, especially if you made some provision in the rules to the effect of interference has to be tolerated once outside the property boundaries of said institution, only the area within the boundaries is protected. Actually I believe that there is a provision in part 15 that relates to broadcasting on educational campuses that is similar to that, I think for carrier current or leaky cable operation, where you can actually exceed the legal field strength within the campus itself as long as the emissions are within the limits outside of the campus boundaries.
Shelby Brant
Harrisonville, PA
Icom 718, EAC R-390A
60 ft. endfed wire

Offline ThElectriCat

• Hillsboro OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 1829 UTC »
Glad to see I'm not the only one on here who reads this
http://www.engineeringradio.us/blog/
In another life, I could have been a telephone engineer.

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 2025 UTC »
Glad to see I'm not the only one on here who reads this
http://www.engineeringradio.us/blog/

Yes, that blog is an interesting read from time to time.
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns