We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: LW 150-500KHz Loop, need help...  (Read 4590 times)

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
Re: LW 150-500KHz Loop, need help...
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2018, 0100 UTC »
Good to hear that the filter cleaned up the AM images.  A 1 "S"-unit (6dB) loss seems a bit high.  The PAR low pass filter used here has an insertion loss of less than 1 dB in the passband.
As you mentioned, a LPF will have little or no affect on the RFI/EMI from various electric devices.  Common mode filters placed at both ends of the coax feedline can be helpful in cutting down the noise.  A noise cancelling unit such as the MFJ 1026 also helps (although it must be modified to work on LW freqs).
btw, midnight shift is a drag, enjoy your days off.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2018, 0049 UTC »
Pinto Vortando: After a telephone conversation with the Loop maker on Tuesday it was elected to return it to him, he wants to make up another Loop and compare it with the one I had the poor experience with. 

It would have to be a very substancial improvement to say the least.  I mailed the Loop back yesterday and will wait and see what the new one he is making holds in comparison.

I think I am better sticking with my 380 feet of wire and the filter, what do you think?  Even the Loop maker said I do very well with the wire. :D

Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 2037 UTC »
That 380' wire with the correct matching device will be hard to beat.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 2351 UTC »
Maybe I should have payed the extra money and went for the Wellbrook Loop out of the UK?  Heard and read very good reports on them but they are very pricey when converted to Australian dollars!

The net link that Josh sent was interesting, however, I don't really have the time at the moment to build anything substancial due to my working hours, which is mostly night shift and long hours.

Might pay to look at a tuner for the 380 feet of wire as you mentioned.  Well, winter is here, had a snow flurry last night and temps down to 3 degrees C this morning. ;)
Condobolin, NSW.

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 2348 UTC »
Loop maker has given up and refunded my money in full, less a small price for the MW filter which I have elected to keep as it works very well. 

Case closed as far as the Loop is concerned, I have to admit that I was quite disappointed with the Loop in general.

Thanks to all that passed comments and provided helpful suggestions here, much appreciated! ;)
Condobolin, NSW.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns