We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What Is That Wideband 4.5mhz - 5mhz signal??  (Read 1984 times)

Finman

What Is That Wideband 4.5mhz - 5mhz signal??
« on: April 29, 2018, 0125 UTC »
I'm getting back into UTE dxing after being away for many years... So I'm tuning around the 4.5mhz - 5mhz area, hearing this wide band "zeewosh, zeewosh, zeewosh" at about one second intervals. Reminded me of the old OTH radar interference. What the crap is this crap??  :P :P
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 0130 UTC by Finman »

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What Is That Wideband 4.5mhz - 5mhz signal??
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 0141 UTC »
This is a radar, but not an OTHR really, although yes, it does see beyond the horizon.  This is a specialized coastal radar called CODAR.  CODAR monitors wave action and coastal ocean currents.  There are literally hundreds of CODAR installations around the world.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Finman

Re: What Is That Wideband 4.5mhz - 5mhz signal??
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 1646 UTC »
Thanks for the reply Token. Man, that sure makes a mess of a large section of spectrum.
I wonder how this could be legal with the ITU?

This is a radar, but not an OTHR really, although yes, it does see beyond the horizon.  This is a specialized coastal radar called CODAR.  CODAR monitors wave action and coastal ocean currents.  There are literally hundreds of CODAR installations around the world.

T!