We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID 6880 AM 1555 UTC 3 MAY 2018  (Read 2404 times)

Offline hammarhead

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
UNID 6880 AM 1555 UTC 3 MAY 2018
« on: May 03, 2018, 1600 UTC »
UNID station at S8 into NE Ohio at 1555 UTC. Grand Funk "American Band" and Stevie Nicks "Sara" - nice mix of music. Thanks for the show!

- Thanks for the personal reply. You are still very good into my location at 1715 UTC. S7 signal with some fading.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 1718 UTC by hammarhead »

Offline TheRelayStation

• 5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
    • View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
Re: UNID 6880 AM 1555 UTC 3 MAY 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 1627 UTC »
UNID station at S8 into NE Ohio at 1555 UTC. Grand Funk "American Band" and Stevie Nicks "Sara" - nice mix of music. Thanks for the show!
thank you for the report.
im operating at 50 watts.
from this point on moving forward, i will make it my personal effort to thank everyone individually for their reports on this forum.
the reports are appreciated even though i monitor myself from many various online SDR's, not every online SDR is located in a specific area that is covered by daytime NVIS.
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com
https://vaughn.live/cabletv

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 1643 UTC »
Journey / stone in love
1642 Boston/ something about you
1646   Foreigner/ Jukebox hero
1650 Foreigner/ Urgent
1654 Head East/ never been any reason
1742 Kansas/ carry on

Weak  and fading but occasionally identifiable music

Thanks TRS
Love the classic rock
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 1743 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

Offline TheRelayStation

• View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 1651 UTC »
Journey / stone in love
1642 Boston/ something about you

Weak  and fading but occasionally identifiable music

Thanks TRS
thanks for the report and you are welcome.
i know certain western areas of PA and eastern areas of OH seem to receive the signal the best during the daytime.
this broadcast is just mainly myself listening to tunes while i work except i am broadcasting them and listening to them via a remote SDR so you might hear a track change at the start of a song that i dont feel like hearing :D
when its not too busy at work, i can get to choose and play Chris' favorite mash-ups but when its busy, i select a playlist of tunes from the external disk drive library i have and drop them in winamp.
unfortunately for Chris, i do not believe he will receive me today and on most days if at anything but a very weak signal or just a carrier despite his very impressive setup for receiving.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 1722 UTC by TheRelayStation »
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 1704 UTC »
Usually doesn't pick up here until late afternoon . Classic rock fine by me !
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 1707 UTC »
1705 UTC- Kick It Out / Heart, signal is S7-S9 with fading in WNY, audio just above  the noise. 
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline TheRelayStation

• View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 1715 UTC »
1705 UTC- Kick It Out / Heart, signal is S7-S9 with fading in WNY, audio just above  the noise.
thanks for the report Mr Wave :)
i am sure the noise level you have is something you could do without, i hope it doesnt affect all of the spectrum you monitor though.
i know the gentleman from Colorado (i forget his user name, i think its MDK2) always had trouble hearing me at 5150Khz because of high QRM he has that ends right at 5150Khz.
hopefully this time around, 6880Khz may prove to be better at his location especially if i broadcast in the later evening with additional power but i generally like to leave the frequency open during the weekday evening hours in case other op's want to use it.
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com

Offline digitalmod

• Cherokee Foot Hills, SC
  • Freedom includes Radio Broadcasting
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 1752 UTC »
 50 watts sounds cool.. I didn't hear this time. The King from Across the Sea was received this side, with a low dipole and 120 watts AM. But my million years in radio tells me, he has to be near sea salt to do that.
I rxed here in Montreal, failing well.. 8)
Radio is dying. We need to give it shelter

Offline TheRelayStation

• View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 1806 UTC »
50 watts sounds cool.. I didn't hear this time. The King from Across the Sea was received this side, with a low dipole and 120 watts AM. But my million years in radio tells me, he has to be near sea salt to do that.
I rxed here in Montreal, failing well.. 8)
well thank you for the report, i was not expecting to reach Montreal at all and i am not sure that i actually do especially during the daytime and with the polarization of my antenna being east/west but im not sure if you meant me or "The King from Across the Sea", who is that anyway ? i am curious.
do you do any daytime broadcasts ?
i used to enjoy listening to "Yeah Man" when he would broadcast during the daytime when i am not broadcasting but he hasnt been doing much daytime broadcasts, likely because the band conditions dont permit it so when im not broadcasting, there isnt much to listen to except for the AM ARO's at 80m and 40m.
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com

Offline digitalmod

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 1830 UTC »
 Oh, yes, Andre and I do relays also with 2kw PEP.. But of late family other things taking over. We also do real time off web transmissions for some users, Yeti and formerly Buddha now its Peace radio

Maria :o  Anyone who wants not risk an FCC bust is welcomed here ! Peace has too much to lose for that if it ever happened. But I am told by Andre 41 is a waste band with some stray CBers and huge military over horizon radars, obviously from other side of planet since never heard during daylight in NA.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 1834 UTC by digitalmod »

Offline TheRelayStation

• View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 1852 UTC »
Oh, yes, Andre and I do relays also with 2kw PEP.. But of late family other things taking over. We also do real time off web transmissions for some users, Yeti and formerly Buddha now its Peace radio

Maria :o  Anyone who wants not risk an FCC bust is welcomed here ! Peace has too much to lose for that if it ever happened. But I am told by Andre 41 is a waste band with some stray CBers and huge military over horizon radars, obviously from other side of planet since never heard during daylight in NA.
i would be ecstatic to relay your broadcast or anyone else for that matter, live or pre-recorded, i prefer to relay op's rather than broadcasting myself.
i have relayed Andre's shows in the past and i have one he sent me awhile ago that i have not yet played due to antenna troubles from storms, but it may have been already played by other op's.
as far as the FCC is concerned, i have a PTZ camera set up, i can see them coming and shut down before they get close enough to take a field strength measurement, without a FSM, everything is speculation and assumptions.
at this point with the agency being under-staffed due to budget cuts, their main focus is FM pirates since the mega-corporations who own the FM stations have top priority with the FCC to eliminate their pirate "competition" likely due to the financial support from these mega-corporations who own the FM stations.
their secondary focus is interference to anything, any agency or any user that legally occupies, is licensed for and uses a frequency and the allocated bandwidth of that frequency, so staying away from licensed and occupied frequencies and their allotted bandwidths and not causing interference to anything and anyone is a most certain benefit.
not making any money from advertising or other means of financial support utilizing a broadcast is also another method of staying out of the radar and not talking bad about anyone on the air.
an example is "Old Time Radio" at 6770Khz who has been operating for several years without issue, likely at less than 50 watts.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 2007 UTC by TheRelayStation »
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com

Offline digitalmod

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 1904 UTC »
  Yes. as a  French Canadian, we can't understand your idiot President, its military or the idiotic FCC that we see as political tools of war and corporate domination. In Canada as you may know Enterprise Canada just enforces technical interference and lets it live. We destroyed Radio Canada years ago as we saw it was a DUMB THING in a web world.
BTW I hear you know, some good sidebands getting out of noise. Rock music heard.

Maria

We did hear " back on my feet" and now next tune is all out of noise.
BTW my husband asks, did you see the cross eyed FCC agent bust the Texas station and the op said did you actually get readings and recorded it on Utube. The agent said he wanted the transmitter (big sqatter deal) and said an equation could be used. But in court never would hold up. My husband is a broadcast engineer, who used to work for CHOM and CBC

btw we now are hearing "brown eyed Girl? "
Now, he Jerry Lee- "Slish Splash".. band picking up?

Andre also said if agent came on your land without a warrant its all over anyway. Anybody near an antenna would need do that I think ! People should know their rights also sissy FCC cross eyed had a goon with him at the bust.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 1922 UTC by digitalmod »

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 1934 UTC »
Very weak at 1933 but I can hear traces of music, "I Will Survive".
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline TheRelayStation

• View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 1948 UTC »
BTW my husband asks, did you see the cross eyed FCC agent bust the Texas station and the op said did you actually get readings and recorded it on Utube. The agent said he wanted the transmitter (big sqatter deal) and said an equation could be used. But in court never would hold up. My husband is a broadcast engineer, who used to work for CHOM and CBC
so then your husband understands exactly what i am talking about when it comes to field strength readings being used as proof and evidence that RF was emanating from a specific location.
im pretty sure the agency in Canada utilizes the same type of method using field strength readings.
your husband might have curious interest what i am using to broadcast and what type of sound processing software i am using.
unfortunately, you cant hear my station strong enough to discern the quality of sound at 10Khz but the range of transmitted audio response is DC to 10Khz though DC to 10Hz really isnt audible, its just there for consistency reasons and for those who can actually see the waveform on their analyzers ;)
i am using "Stereotool" as the processor and a completely modified by me, Yaesu FT-757GX2 for full duty operation at 50 watts which includes improved cooling (replaced built in fan with PC fan), lowest TX bias level (for reduced heat) and full audio spectrum capability on AM (tapped straight to the low level modulation mixer IC).
the ALC circuit is also disabled since "stereotool" does a much better job.
thermal and VSWR circuits i custom built for shutdown have also been added for protection.
this is a very clean TX as i intended it to be.
the antenna is a simple 14GA twisted copper, full wave horizontal center fed dipole about 40 feet above the terrain constructed to operate at 6880Khz, no tuners are used with 50FT of LMR400 from the TX to a weather shielded quick disconnect and then from there, 50FT of RG8X to the dipole.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 1956 UTC by TheRelayStation »
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com

Offline digitalmod

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 2009 UTC »
  Yes, I am sure your technical input and expertise has greatly helped. I must admit I am an operator not enginner, so what said is what I see. We have a salvaged maritime  transmitter that Andre converts from 3 phase. He says it could do 50 kw pep. We have never done that has our lights and the neighborhood would go black.
Andre is a part time field engineer for a company that does very high power and is in Nova Scotia. Should not say more.
Nautel does it ring a bell?
We want to do DRM, but nobody can decode it. It is best for shortwaves I am told.

Now we hear that sweet Canadian boy, doing summer 69? You I presume?

BTW Andre is at home today, not in field engeering, but he is going all over the world now, with many transmitters not in NA anymore. He wants to do design of class E high power for shortwave as you will see there is nothing available except little foolsh 10 watt transmitters that are CB play things.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 2032 UTC by digitalmod »