We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID 6880 AM 1555 UTC 3 MAY 2018  (Read 2425 times)

Offline TheRelayStation

• 5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
    • View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
Re: UNID 6880 AM 1555 UTC 3 MAY 2018
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 2022 UTC »
  Yes, I am sure your technical input and expertise has greatly helped. I must admit I am an operator not enginner, so what said is what I see. We have a salvaged maritime  transmitter that Andre converts from 3 phase. He says it could do 50 kw pep. We have never done that has our lights and the neighborhood would go black.
Andre is a part time field engineer for a company that does very high power and is in Nova Scotia. Should not say more.
Nautel does it ring a bell?
We want to do DRM, but nobody can decode it. It is best for shortwaves I am told.

Now we hear that sweet Canadian boy, doing summer 69? You I presume?
yes, summer of 69, good song too.
i wouldnt go the way of DRM unless you plan on operating at least 50KW with a commercial antenna and realize the listener base is comprised of many DRM capable receivers.
the characteristics of transmission for DRM is similar to how DTV is received, the signal has to be strong and stable to be properly decoded.
at least with analog, the signal can be weak and still be effectively intelligible and understood under the right circumstances.
i dont think i would operate at more than 1KW even though i am more than capable of it at full duty, i generally operate at half that when i am utilizing the extra power which isnt too often.
i feel its better on the tubes and my electric bill :D
the idea of operating at low power presents an interesting challenge for hobbyists.
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com
https://vaughn.live/cabletv

Offline Helicaster

• South Georgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 2113 UTC »
2108 - music heard here - Too weak to id
Seems to be getting stronger
2112 - A bit stronger
2114 - Good Kisser - Lake street Drive - Per shazam
2127 - Everlong -Foo Fighters - Clearl enough to id this one
2140 - Waste A Moment - Kings Of Leon - Nice signal fades now
2133 - Tempted - Squeeze
2137 - Under He Bridge -  Red Hot Chili Peppers
Sounds fair to good now - bit of peskies activity

Thanks for the show!!
I'm sure whatever Chris has is better than anything I have. If I win the lottery I will hire him to make me some antennas. I am impressed with the RSP2

Sdrplay rsp2 dipole and long wire - Haven't tried to listen on the Icom
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 2207 UTC by Helicaster »
South Georgia
Please EQSL  silvae8370@mypacks.net
Icom Ic-200 SDRPLY long wire dipole mag loop

Offline TheRelayStation

• 5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
    • View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 2126 UTC »
2108 - music heard here - Too weak to id
Seems to be getting stronger
2112 - A bit stronger
2114 - Good Kisser - Lake street Drive - Per shazam
thank you for the report Helicaster.
would you mind providing some details about your receiving setup (you dont have to if you dont want to, im just curious) ? (you can edit your post so as to not jam up the forum too much).
i made an earlier post concerning the details of my TX gear and antenna if you are curious.
the path from my TX to your receiver is significant for 50w especially during the daytime, i dont usually reach your area during the daytime but band conditions can be unpredictable.
Sdrplay rsp2 dipole and long wire - Haven't tried to listen on the Icom
oh thats cool, i want to get an RSP2 myself but im stuck between deciding if i want that or what Chris Smolinski has - something with a very high bandwidth sample rate so i can decode MPEG2 cable TV channels or OTA ATSC channels.
I'm sure whatever Chris has is better than anything I have. If I win the lottery I will hire him to make me some antennas. I am impressed with the RSP2
agreed ! lol.
2200z - end of todays broadcast - thanks to everyone who checked in with their reports and comments, it was a fun day indeed - see you next time - enjoy the rest of the week :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 2200 UTC by TheRelayStation »
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com
https://vaughn.live/cabletv

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns