We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Broadcasters Cheer Pirate Radio Bill  (Read 6190 times)

Offline TheRelayStation

• 5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
    • View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
Re: Broadcasters Cheer Pirate Radio Bill
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2018, 2018 UTC »
This bill mandates the FCC to increase enforcement, but provides them with no additional funds to pay for it....

LOL
[/quote
i am quite sure the conglomerate media companies support the FCC financially when the need arises.
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com
https://vaughn.live/cabletv

Offline TheRelayStation

• View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2018, 2027 UTC »
which is precisely what is happening.
the conglomerate media companies who own several FM/AM stations in captive market areas are trying to recoup their losses by offering and venturing to several other media platforms to keep the investors and lending firms happy in addition to acquiring competitive radio stations to eliminate competition and stomping out the "gnats" of low power pirates in order to keep captivity on that specific market and keep revenue loss from advertising on the decline.
now imagine if one media company owned all the FM radio stations in the NYC market.

I hate to sound cynical, but if only one radio company owned all the FM stations in the NYC market, would any of the listeners really notice?

I think the only people who would notice would be industry types, radio enthusiasts (like us here at HFU), and policy wonks.

The average listener? I'm not sure they would either notice or care. They just want to hear their favorite music. Not saying that's awesome, but just sayin'.
the casual listener wouldnt notice or even care but the companies who want to advertise would have no competition for better advertisement rates.
the anti-competitive law for FM radio stations is weak at best because the only true oversight is the FCC while the DOJ takes a back seat to matters they consider trivial.
see example attachment:
https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-96-380A1.pdf
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2018, 2205 UTC »
I don't know why people watch TV anyway.  There is very little out there I actually want to watch, and almost none of it prime time.

+-RH

I'd remove the word "almost"  ;D

We watch a mix of mostly Netflix, Acorn, Great Courses, and selected programs from the DVR, I don't think any of them from the major networks. A little from Amazon, "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" for example.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2018, 2309 UTC »
I gave up watching TV during the 2017 4th of July weekend. There was very little of interest to keep my attention, and way too much politicizing from both sides of the fence. I did watch 12 minutes of the Election Night returns in November.....the TV has remained unplugged since then.
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2018, 1930 UTC »
Haven't had a tv for tv watching since the 80s. I do, however, watch vids such as youtube online and movies too, just not any tv programming. They don't call it programming without reason. When you watch it, you're being programmed. In an alpha state.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Matt_B

• Southwestern CT, USA
    • View Profile
    • Radio Free Connecticut
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2018, 0804 UTC »
Here's an e-mail I just wrote to my Congressman (Jim Himes, D-CT) on the matter. 

Congressman Himes,

I am writing to express my concerns regarding HR 5709, which is known as the "Preventing Illegal Radio Abuse Through Enforcement (PIRATE) Act". This bill, which is currently being discussed in the House, deals with the unlicensed operation of radio stations. 

First off, I concede that there are some radio operators who intentionally interfere with licensed radio frequencies.  However, the majority of stations that I have heard don't attempt to do this.  Rather, they are small, community-based operations that transmit on otherwise vacant frequencies, with average power outputs of around ten watts (compare that to the one hundred thousand watt maximum power output of an FM station).  As they do not interfere with other stations, their transmissions serve the public, and harm nobody. 

The radio broadcasting industry would have you believe that unlicensed broadcasters often interfere with frequencies intended for emergency broadcasts, as well as the public health.  The major broadcasting firms say that they are afraid of "pirates" taking over their frequencies.  However, and having first-hand knowledge of the radio industry, I can tell you that this is a "red herring".  What the major companies are really afraid of is competition in the radio industry.  Many broadcasting firms have virtual monopolies in several markets, as they control the vast majority of stations in those areas.  The unfortunate reality of the radio industry is that "if you want to play, you have to pay", and pay big bucks at that.  Unless you know someone in the radio world, it isn't possible for average citizens to own radio outlets, as one station will typically cost millions of dollars.  This has the effect of limiting the diversity of voices that can be heard, and degrading free speech. 

Congressman, I understand the arguments of the major broadcasting firms.  It wouldn't be false to say that unlicensed broadcasting is a problem, and should be addressed as such.  However, I believe that the proposed legislation is a threat to the free speech rights of all radio broadcasters, licensed or no.  For this and other reasons, I urge you to oppose the submitted bill, and vote no on passage.  Thank you for your time. 

Sincerely,

(Real Name was put here)
Matt Boland
Southwestern CT
Owner/Operator, "Radio Free Connecticut"
PS4: JupBol16

Offline TheRelayStation

• View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2018, 1509 UTC »
Haven't had a tv for tv watching since the 80s. I do, however, watch vids such as youtube online and movies too, just not any tv programming. They don't call it programming without reason. When you watch it, you're being programmed. In an alpha state.
"Television, the drug of the nation..."
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2018, 1731 UTC »

While a fruitloop celebrity, I think it was an accurate description when Johnny Depp said watching tv was nursing at the glass breast.

Offline TheRelayStation

• View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2018, 1907 UTC »

While a fruitloop celebrity, I think it was an accurate description when Johnny Depp said watching tv was nursing at the glass breast.
on a different note, the "MMA" bill, i believe is going to have a big impact on online music streaming.
http://variety.com/2018/biz/news/senate-introduces-music-modernization-act-1202806411/
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2018, 1725 UTC »
Yep, spotify is toast. Also, ffs Grassley has been in congress doing nothing yet getting paid for it since I was a kid in Des Moines 40 years ago.