We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 2010 WC9 Asteroid Don't panic...  (Read 1878 times)

Offline SevenTrees'

• View Profile
Please eQSL SevenTreesRadio@hotmail.com
Icom 7851 plugged into home-brew aerial.
Thanks, and SevenTrees'

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 WC9 Asteroid Don't panic...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 1739 UTC »
If a bigun hits, from ground zero to the opposite side of the world will come a mile high wall of plasma (aka fire) incinerating everything before it. We'll be lucky if the one that hits merely takes out a country or two.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 1938 UTC »
I don't think about such things.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 2325 UTC »
Jim, that avatar looks like the leadership of the Hog Ridin' Fools M.C., circa 1969. Did they ever recover from that encounter with the Checkered Demon?

I worry more about that guy coming back than I do asteroids.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 2339 UTC »
That's the way everybody looked in '69, or to me anyway. I was 12 at the time.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 1151 UTC »
It's a reference to R. Crumb's "Zap Comix". The Hog Ridin' Fools were regulars in those.

The national president of the Devil's Disciples M.C. lived in my home town. They were and are a nasty bunch, but they're back in their stomping grounds in the S.W. US these days. I was friends with his youngest brother when they turned up in '70. They all rode those stretched frame Harley's with the ape-hanger handlebars. One of 'em wore a spiked Prussian helmet. It was like a bad biker movie.

I was about the same age you were then. All the kids in town though my friend and I were cool because we were always over there, and all the parents thought we were on the direct road to Hell. The only reason we went there because there were always loaded girls running around half naked. What boy going through puberty is going to pass on that?

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 1752 UTC »
I don't think about such things.

I don't either much, but the video presentation from the "experts" on what would happen if a roid of sufficient size made it down to us was impressive. Half these things they don't even notice until its on us practically, would it be better to have some years/months/weeks notice or none at all?
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 2350 UTC »
And have another New Normal? No.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 1928 UTC »
I knew a guy who briefly worked for USGS in the early 90's. That was about the time the first wave of TV shows about supervolcano's and asteroids were hitting the air. He had to handle the nutjob calls being the lowest person on the totem pole. He once said to me, "God, I miss the Commies! All people like that worried about then was how deep to dig in."

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 2125 UTC »
Can we bounce RF off of it?
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.