We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: SHORTWAVE TRADING | PART I | THE WEST CHICAGO TOWER MYSTERY  (Read 1824 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
In addition to this post, there are several others on the site. I wonder if these are some of the wideband digital transmissions we have observed, and chalked up as just another .mil transmission?

https://sniperinmahwah.wordpress.com/2018/05/07/shortwave-trading-part-i-the-west-chicago-tower-mystery/
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
Re: SHORTWAVE TRADING | PART I | THE WEST CHICAGO TOWER MYSTERY
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 1732 UTC »
Very interesting reading at that website. Amazing what can be done when money is no option.

- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 1950 UTC »
Given the allocated frequencies for the particular TX site mentioned in the blog post (near Chicago) and a presumption that there are other "trader stations" allocated in those areas, I wonder how much of the data we hear in the 6800-7000 KHz area comes from such activity.
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 2038 UTC »
Given the allocated frequencies for the particular TX site mentioned in the blog post (near Chicago) and a presumption that there are other "trader stations" allocated in those areas, I wonder how much of the data we hear in the 6800-7000 KHz area comes from such activity.

I was thinking the same thing. Some of the signals we have chalked up as .mil could be this, or similar activities.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 2103 UTC »
Amazing what can be done when money is no option.

I might tweak that slightly to "amazing what can be done when there is a lot of money to be made and the economics and the physics make it feasible."

If they had to use LW for some reason, it probably wouldn't be so prevalent. On the other hand, if there is some sort of major solar event knocking out trans-Atlantic propagation for a few days, I bet you some stuffshirt Wall Street type will start funding ionospheric "cloud seeding" (as it were) and then maybe they would try LW too.  :D

Takeaways:
1) SW is cheap and effective.
2) These guys will stop at (almost) nothing for an advantage. (Cue memories of 2006-2008 when the entire world economy almost came crashing down.)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 2326 UTC by KaySeeks »
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline ThElectriCat

• Hillsboro OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 2149 UTC »
it seems that the "the RF spectrum is full" arguments and the new-ish allocations for things like this are in contradiction. I don't think its a case of available spectrum they're not telling us about, but rather a case of the FCC saying "we'll make room" when they see a profit. The FCC is severely underfunded when it comes to actual field work and enforcement.  I really want to build a radiometer that measures the total power received between 3 and 30 Mhz, and look at the dip in the chart when there is a major power outage. I would be willing to bet a signifacant portion of the white noise is a summation of services like this too far away or weak to be heard.
In another life, I could have been a telephone engineer.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 1344 UTC »

The vast majority of the data identified as .mil is identified by specific transmission features.  In other words, unless these folks are using the same techniques as the military users are they are probably not being miss-identified as mil transmissions.  The periodic wideband data seen (not to be confused with the much more common Chinese PSK radar, often miss-IDed as "data") could be a candidate, but various vendors have been working on that/those technique for military application for several years.

And given the military requirements for long term sustainability, interoperability with partner nations, and the extended timeline to change or get new systems to IOC, compared with potential civilian integration times, there is no reason to suspect such institutions as those discussed would be limited to using the quite old techniques the military is currently using.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 1609 UTC »
Also, most of the mil waveforms are known to radio hobbyists who follow such.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 2002 UTC »
Jam 'em all and let God sort them out!