We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Something interesting on HF maybe be related to our mystery 1 PPS UNID time tick  (Read 2568 times)

Offline GC

• View Profile
Stumbled across a link to this on Hackaday of some interesting HF activity that may (or may not) be related our mystery one PPS time tick signal

https://sniperinmahwah.wordpress.com/2018/05/07/shortwave-trading-part-i-the-west-chicago-tower-mystery/

Not suprisingly, I noted a comment by Chris S in the comments section of above noted posting.

cheers, Graham near Ottawa Canada

Offline [tRMZ]

• MI's Copper Country
    • View Profile
Hi I'm new to this section of the site. This post caught my eye but I may be way off base here.

So right now 694O KHz is beating sumthing like one pulse per second. With occasional double pulses or longer 2-beat pulses. And I can't tell if it's supposed to be LSB or AM... LSB i assume. Now it's 22:06z and I've been hearing this about 15 min.

Is this what you're talking about? Stuff like that?
--------------------------------------
Upper MI's Copper Country
•Grundig Satellit 750• w/wire-clip
•Kaito 1103• w/wire-clip EXT ant
•Uniden BC125AT•
•Uniden BCD436HP•
2 •GE 3-5980A handheld CB•

(I got another EXT SW antenna but haven't taken it out of the box just yet!)

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Hi I'm new to this section of the site. This post caught my eye but I may be way off base here.

So right now 694O KHz is beating sumthing like one pulse per second. With occasional double pulses or longer 2-beat pulses. And I can't tell if it's supposed to be LSB or AM... LSB i assume. Now it's 22:06z and I've been hearing this about 15 min.

There are far too many possible answers to be sure without more detail.  A recording would be a good place to start, preferably in USB mode.

Not too far away in frequency should be some Link-11, and that is a possible answer to what you are hearing.

Link-11 is variable in sound, depending on how much data each node is sending and how many nodes are in the circuit.  So don’t think of the following recording as the only way it can sound, it might sound a bit different than this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__-rtLRQUhg

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website

I just checked that frequency and the signal is still transmitting. I'm pretty certain that it is a Link 11 signal.

Curt / W9SPY

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
This link is a good repository of signals found on hf;
https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Database

It has audio and pictorial samples of a given signal.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline CaptnKliegle

• Seacoast of NH
  • Is this thing on?
    • View Profile
The 20M PIP appears to be NE of me in NH. Drops ~20dB when I point the SteppIR in the SW direction vs NE.
Antenna is fixed NE/SW, side mounted to Rohn 25 tower at the 75' level.

Canadian Maritimes perhaps?
Seacoast of NH  RXR's =3 X SDR-iq's, 1 x SDRPlays, and 11 AirspyHF+'s . TXR's = 2 X TS-590S,  ANAN200D, 2 x IC-7300's, IC-7610, 2 X IC-7100. Antennas = Resonant wire dipoles, 120' end fed wires, or 2 X SteppIR 3 ele beam @ 70' fixed NE/SW directions. Also host Remotehams.com servers (RX/TX) as well as SDR Console servers V3.xx (RX Only) too!

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns