We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What is with 11m lately?  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Kage

• US
  • Modulating Madness
    • View Profile
    • The Free Radio Forum
    • Email
What is with 11m lately?
« on: May 24, 2018, 1157 UTC »
Anyone else notice that even though we are on the low end of the 11 year cycle the CB band is picking up big at times I never recall? Yet lower frequencies are completely dead. It seems 10+MHz is doing swell but anything lower is worse than ever! I tuned in 80m last night and heard two hams and that was it, yet at the same time I heard hundreds of people on CB 11m.
Right now as I post this, 6:55AM EST I am hearing skip from all over, that's not normal. Even at night lately and last night I heard people talking skip into the moon hours.
What is up with the sun? I thought when we are on the cycle low we are working local only but I am hearing stuff that reminds me of years ago when the solar cycle was high.
What gives? Am I going nuts?
Meanwhile I can't even tune in coast to coast am at night, how will I sleep w/o george snoory telling me bedtime stories?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 1202 UTC by Kage »
I'm not saying aliens are in the radio, but aliens definitely are in the radio.
The Free Radio Forum

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Re: What is with 11m lately?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 1239 UTC »
A lot of the DX heard on 11 meters lately is likely due to sporadic-E propagation (this also happens on 6 meters and the VHF low band region from 30-50 MHz when it really gets going).  That's why you'll suddenly hear crazy DX on the 11 meter band but frequencies from 10-20 MHz or so are still quiet.

If the CB band is really going, check these frequencies:

25.000 MHz 25000 kHz - WWV 25 MHz transmitter AM mode
25.910 MHz 25910 kHz - Remote Broadcast Pickup - Studio Transmitter Link STL (FM mode)
25.950 MHz 25950 kHz - Remote Broadcast Pickup - Studio Transmitter Link STL (FM mode)
25.990 MHz 25990 kHz - Remote Broadcast Pickup - Studio Transmitter Link STL (FM mode)

If you can hear WWV on 25 MHz and the STLs on 25910, 25950 and 25990, then you're looking at a considerable opening...
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 1610 UTC »
Quite a bit of activity in the CB band as I type this (1609z) but nothing outside.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 2213 UTC »
Just to be clear, sporadic E isn't affected by the solar cycle. At least, that's what I heard Arnie Coro say the other day.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 0107 UTC »
Also, sporadic E is typically best in late May through June.
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 0126 UTC »
It's trying to trick Fansome into buying that CB. The day he does, "Bam!" the MUF falls to 2.5 kHz.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 1732 UTC »
Poor Al.

Also, summer in America Nord means winter in America Sud, as well as Autraliaer and points south, meaning they're getting the best propagashuns at this time.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: What is with 11m lately? Lack of low band activity?
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 0243 UTC »
Well, 12M, 11M, 10M, and 6M, are pretty much about all that I've monitored and QSO'ed on for the last month. Since May 7th, it's been +80-some degree everyday with thunderstorms. So, when I tune to 160M, 75-80M, 60M, and 40M, all I hear is S+10/9 of lightning crashes on SSB and CW, and S+20/9 in AM mode. So, trying to have a QSO with someone with that much QRN just sucks. So, trolling for Sporadic E activities and even Tropo on 2M, 222MHz, and 432MHz as well, since the warmer heat wave seems to bring up morning Tropo DX in VHF / UHF.  Just my take.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns