We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Memorial Day listening conditions could have been better...  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Nothing but non-stop thunderstorms and flash floods here. Hope it was better for the rest of you folks.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: Memorial Day listening conditions could have been better...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 0248 UTC »
Technically better here as we had no flash floods. But we did have the thunderstorms with plenty of lightning. DGPS recording from last night was abysmal.

On the positive side, the power company came out today and fixed the stuff on the top of a nearby power pole that was creating a lot of RFI.

One source quenched, more to go.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 0528 UTC »
Greece was in on 9420 khz, barely audible half the time. Two other stations on 31 meters, one I think might have been RNZI.

20 meters had two CW QSOs (both too fast to read), the JT65 channel was blasting away at S5, and maybe three SSB QSOs, only one that was above S3 in strength -- ironically, a guy from Texas talking to a guy in Hawaii. And I'm in the PNW.

Yet no other QSOs on an early holiday evening. This is why I think ham radio is slowly dying. Even the guys with rigs and antennas don't bother to get on the air when it's a holiday and conditions -- although a little mediocre overall -- are at least good enough that Texas and Hawaii can talk to each other. Obviously its wasn't the reception issue on my end -- if I could hear them, why couldn't I hear other guys from the 2nd most populous state talking to Hawaii or wherever?

Our hobby is taking strange turns this solar cycle.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 1651 UTC »
My $0.02 worth? The summer doldrums early. I know that when I worked in TV broadcasting the biggest month in Nielsen Ratings was May (Go figure.), and every TV station would be down in ratings from the November sweeps. So, the biggest competition was the weather. It's nice out, who wants to watch TV? Radio habits are there as well. With all that I need to get done outside, with summer-like weather just exploding, I'm not on the radio much at all either. If I see Sporadic E open towards me, I'll check out 12M - 6M. Low bands? Forgetta'boutit... I hear nothing but lightning crashes, and it's been storm, after storm, after storm, then flooding. I'll be back down there, (Hopefully for Field Day 2018.), this Fall in October / November. So, my radio activities haven't dried up, (Totally.), but modified for the time of year it is. Just my take. Oh yeah, my other radio activities now are when I'm in the truck and I hear friends on 2M, MURS, and CB. Someday, I hope to try HF mobile again.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 1730 UTC »
My dear Piggles, you're not in the path of that dreadful hurricane thingy are you? Look on the bright side, if major cities/regions get flooded, the auto industry will be thriving at the expense of the insurance companies due all the claims. Just like how the floods in Texas a year or so ago "saved" Detroit from collapse for one more year.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 2347 UTC »
And supplied used car dealers with a surplus of cars for years to come. I once bought a year old truck at phenomenal price about a year after getting out of HS from the used section of a legit dealer. There were no lemon laws in those days and when you drove it off the lot was yours. That thing was rusting out in under a year.

There was a guy who used to own a small auto auction about a mile and half from me. He was foisting used FEMA trailers on the public from those multiple hurricanes that smacked the Gulf in the last decade, around 2010. He was telling people they were "used camping trailers". No lemon laws on campers.  He was something.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 1826 UTC »
Lotsa rain last night here in sw Indiana so the lawn is safe for a week or so, but no hurricanes to worry about, just tornadys. And yes, the pesky lightning strikes are a bane to a radio listener of the non - fm variety.

I once sent a IC-751 to a famous HAM radio repair place in Florida to have it modified to my specs. I had him put pin diodes in the noise blanker circuit (a H attenuator/switch as found in most any analog rig that has a noise blanker) and the result was a noise blanker that would entirely eliminate lightning strikes from the rf path. You could turn the nb knob all the way up with no distorting of the desired signal - but the elimination of all lightning strikes. Wish I never sold it, it was great for ssb dxing.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.