We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Review Sirio Antenna SD2000N Discone antenna  (Read 7391 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Review Sirio Antenna SD2000N Discone antenna
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 1849 UTC »
I relocated the antenna to another tree in the yard, it is both somewhat higher and more importantly has much less attenuation due to leaves in the new location. My reference signal, the 121.25 MHz AWOS automated weather transmission from Carroll County Airport went from barely audible to a generally decent (although still on the weak side) signal. It will be interesting to see how this improves reception of other signals, including the radiosonde launches from Dulles Airport.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 0126 UTC »
I picked one of these up and finally got it to the roof today. Now I can hear ATC at KMSP, KMIC, and KFCM, which is significant.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 1236 UTC »
I picked one of these up and finally got it to the roof today. Now I can hear ATC at KMSP, KMIC, and KFCM, which is significant.

Very nice. What were you using previously?

After the relocation, I am able to pick up Sterling radiosonde launches as low as 950m altitude when they are still way down in Virginia. Far better than before. I am also getting very good results with satellites on 2 m and 70 cm.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 1859 UTC »
Have a VHF/UHF airband HT antenna that I put on an airband filter and put it up near the ceiling in the porch. It was ok, but didn't hear ATC. Then got the discone a few weeks ago, but it was inside on a chair. It was mediocre, as fully expected.

On our statewide 800 MHz P25 system, the std scanner antenna is plenty sufficient.

Minneapolis, MN

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns