We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: World Cup Challenge, if you dare  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
World Cup Challenge, if you dare
« on: May 30, 2018, 2212 UTC »
Because there is a God in Heaven and he loves us, the World Cup will begin in two weeks.  My two adult sons and I are separated by a dozen time zones.  One of the ways we stay connected is soccer, they played and I was a league official/coach for a dozen years.  I am more giddy then usual as it will kick off on my birthday (also, our President's) and conclude on my younger son's birthday.  I throw together a five question challenge for the three of us to determine the best football prognosticator.  I will share the challenge and my picks. Have fun with it and welcome your predictions/analysis.  I would imagine at least the BBC and REE will be broadcasting.

1. Finals match up and who wins?
Belguim 3 Germany 1.  The Red Devils not only have players on major squads, they are stars on those squads.  If not this year, Belguim will never do it.

2. Semifinal losers.
Spain and Portugal.  This could be Spain's last hurrah for a bit.

3. A team that does not score at the World Cup
Iran - their bracket seems overwhelming for them (Spain, Portugal, Morocco)

4. African team with the best finish.
Egypt - I don't believe they are the best African team (Tunisia?) but a healthy Salah could get them to 1-1-1 in their easier pool play.

5. Asian team with the best finish. (Note: Australia participates in the Asian conference).
Japan - I have them in the knock out round, though South Korea may be a better team.   

Keep in mind, I have never won my own challenge.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup Challenge, if you dare
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 0442 UTC »
Iran won their first fixture, Morocco lost theirs, so... :(  I'm still holding out for Tunisia doing well.  I won't touch Portugal exiting at the semifinal level; I'm hoping they knock Spain out, frankly. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 2001 UTC »

So, my pick not to score a goal, Iran, scores a goal.  How do they score the goal?  They don't.  Morocco knocks it in their own goal with 2 minutes remaining, so Iran get credit for scoring - ugh!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 1155 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 1035 UTC »
Viva Mexico!

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 1805 UTC »
Manchester United!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns