We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: We've got the option on the first Whataburger in Pyongyang, Al.  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Trump's given up on getting Kim to give up his nukes, but he'd like to have a cheeseburger with the man. It's up to us to save East Asia and your first love, Joyce Kim. Are you up to it? Dennis Rodman is Great Leader's taster, the man knows his burgers having traveled the country hundreds of times in his NBA days.

You and I both know how crappy Singapore burgers are, and what happens to people who have ticked off Great Leader who travel there. My plan is to get the store in Pyongyang running, collect our money, snatch one of their nukes and blow that troublesome volcano in Hawaii sky high. We'll get a Nobel Prize if we pull it off!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 0908 UTC by Pigmeat »

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: We've got the opton on the first Whataburger in Pyongyang, Al.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 0123 UTC »
Don't forget to get wired at the snazzy cafes of Pyongyang when you're setting up shop. Ask for the Juche Blend.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/cafes-are-all-the-rage-in-north-korea-20160407-go0c3k.html
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: We've got the opton on the first Whataburger in Pyongyang, Al.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 0907 UTC »
A childish imitation of the giant that was Ernest T. Bass.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: We've got the option on the first Whataburger in Pyongyang, Al.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 2210 UTC »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xICWmQbWT0I

Singaporeans Start Fast-Food Chain In North Korea
The North Korean regime had banned fast food for the longest time, labelling it as evil Western “imperialist influences”.
But things changed in 2009 when 3 Singaporeans decided to open the first fast food restaurant in the isolated country.
 The seed for this unusual business relationship was planted over 33 years ago, when Mr Quek Chek Lan first started doing business with the hermit kingdom. His company, Aetna Group, was trading steel and minerals with the North Koreans, and they eventually invited him to invest in their country.
 Mr Quek agreed and roped in Mr Timothy Tan, a businessman whom he met 8 years ago in Shanghai. The duo established a new company, Simpyong International, and started going through a list of possible developments. They initially wanted to open a supermarket, but later settled on a fast-food restaurant due to a complete lack of competition.
 However, with zero experience in the fast food industry, they enlisted the help of Mr Patrick Soh, who was then operating two Waffletown USA franchises in Singapore, located at Balmoral Plaza and Ngee Ann Polytechnic.
 The North Koreans actually sent four delegates to test the food at the former before approving the project.
 In November 2008, the three Singaporean partners began making trips to North Korea to set up their flagship store and train the local staff. One year and US$200,000 later, Samtaesong, or Three Big Stars, was born.
 Located at the Kumsong Intersection in Pyongyang, it mainly serves burgers, which the North Korean government refers to as “minced beef with bread” to mask their American origins. Samtaesong also sells fried chicken, french fries, hotdogs, Belgian waffles and even draught beer.
Its cheapest burger starts at €1.20 (S$1.90), while the fried chicken is the most expensive item on the menu at €3 (S$4.70).
 Oh, gloves are also kindly provided so you don’t dirty your hands, by the way. Perhaps our local KFCs could look into adopting such a practice?
 While the kitchen equipment, waffle mix and seasoning for the chicken were imported from Singapore, Samtaesong’s recipes are adapted to suit the locals’ tastebuds. The coleslaw has been substituted with kimchi (Korean pickled cabbage), and every burger comes with more vegetables as the government “hates the idea of junk food”, according to Mr Quek.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 2215 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: We've got the option on the first Whataburger in Pyongyang, Al.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 1637 UTC »
I love minced beef with bread, particularly when it comes with processed dairy product and a slice of ripe savory acidic red-fleshed fruit.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns