We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Cuthbert AM Stereo C-Quam Transmitter Kit! Finally!!!!!  (Read 9283 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Yeah!!!!! Finally!!! A Part #15 AM Stereo C-QUAM kit!      https://radiojayallen.com/cuthbert-am-stereo-c-quam-transmitter/    Question is, will this be a come 'n go sort of thing, or will it be a neat Part #15 buzz that can help give LPAM and C-QUAM stereo a kick where it needs it? Time will tell. The sad part is that it may end up being that there will be more AM stereo transmitters than receivers out there. However, there are kits out there for converting you favorite stereo tuner, or receiver, to have C-QUAM ability, like this site,     http://meduci.com/   
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Cuthbert AM Stereo C-Quam Transmitter Kit! Finally!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 1609 UTC »
It'd be nice if the sdr app makers would add am stereo to their repertoire.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 1647 UTC »
Yeah, no kidding! Just how hard would it be to write up software for SDR's to be able to have C-QUAM capabilities? I am the last person to know this since I almost failed out of computer electronics in college, since I hated machine language.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 1745 UTC »

SdrDx decodes C-QUAM.  http://fyngyrz.com/?p=915
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 1937 UTC »
Good to know about the SdrDx! Hmmmmmmm, Radio Jay didn't mention the actual ebay site for the Cuthbert C-QUAM TX kit, so here that is,      https://www.ebay.com/itm/AM-Stereo-C-QUAM-Transmitter-Kit/132644744317?hash=item1ee23e2c7d:g:U5gAAOSwIgNXoPEJ      and the quick demo Youtube VID,     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEDBxmDJYwo&t=6s       Neat item, but it is nice to know where to get it. Just my $0.02 worth.

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 2000 UTC »
Why's is it on VEROBOARD?

Why not on a PCB?

?
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline TheRelayStation

• 5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
    • View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 2008 UTC »

so does SodiraSDR which i prefer since it has many adjustment capabilities for the advanced user, it also has DRM decoding.
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com
https://vaughn.live/cabletv

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 2229 UTC »
Why's is it on VEROBOARD?

Why not on a PCB?

?

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. $169 and its on prototyping board, not a proper PCB? You have got to be kidding me. 
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 0342 UTC »
Eh, who knows??? Maybe he's gotten veroboard boards for a dime a dozen. I can't bitch, I've built my 22M mW transmitter on one as well. Certainly doable. Still, the kit is under $200.00, so Cuthbert's broken that ceiling barrier for a kit like this. I seem to recall paying almost that much for a Panaxis AM-100 100mW mono exciter kit back in 1991. (I still have that.)

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 1007 UTC »
PCBs are $1 sq inch double sided from OSHPARK in quantity and even if that's too expensive, China will probably do it for much less.

There's some no excuse using Vero for anything these days, it's crap and always has been, even smells funny, never a good sign!

Seriously tho' ANY kit should be on a PCB.

Maybe the 'Designer' has never laid out one before?

Time to learn I think...

Well done on the price, if that's what you want.

No need for anything like this other than US??

Stereo on SW?....Hmmm......
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 1010 UTC »
Stereo on SW?....Hmmm......

I've been doing it for years ;)

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 1637 UTC »

so does SodiraSDR which i prefer since it has many adjustment capabilities for the advanced user, it also has DRM decoding.

Awesome, already got sodira installed. However, it's a huge cpu hog, wonder what's going on there.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline TheRelayStation

• 5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
    • View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 1814 UTC »

Awesome, already got sodira installed. However, it's a huge cpu hog, wonder what's going on there.
not sure but i dont have that issue.
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com
https://vaughn.live/cabletv

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 0445 UTC »
DRM is dead. What is needed is an open source digital format for MW and SW.
As for part 15 AM don't you need to put the transmitter at the junction of your ground radials and 3 meter vertical? That is "outdoors". I would not pay that kind of money then put that thing outdoors.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 1531 UTC »
Ahhhhhhh, but that's where you can be creative here. My AM1620 transmitter is just mounting in the garage, on the inside "A" point of the eves. The radiating antenna is about 12 inches short of 3 Meters in length, to compensate to feeding a 12 inch #8AWG from transmitter to the actual radiator, thus making it Part #15 FCC compliant. You may have other locations that can work, like the inside / outside eves of a tool shed. Passing thought, again... Not everyone can do this, (Including me, thus why I garaged-it.), but your house attic eves can be utilized the same, if you own your own house.