We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: have you recognized any grouping pattern in the EAM msgs?  (Read 10087 times)

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Re: have you recognized any grouping pattern in the EAM msgs?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 1056 UTC »
The training messages have been noted on other frequencies as well, some of which are in the 67xx-69xx kHz range, including 6855 USB if I remember correctly. 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 0351 UTC »
When you hear that eam, think of these guys;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZXUC-nnDIc
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 1637 UTC »
There are additional message types sent on hfgcs and other National Command Authority nets to consider;

NEAM: Non Emergency Action Message
This Routine Priority message promulgates official doctrine on the acquisition and consumption of Ovaltine.

EIM: Emergency Inaction Message
This Routine Priority message promulgates official doctrine on the adjustment of seating for optimal comfort inside a given Missile Wing Command Capsule, SSB/SSBN CIC, and Airborne Command Post.
Example message traffic;
"For station RECLINER, for station RECLINER, break, SIERRA INDIA TANGO, I say again, for station RECLINER, for station RECLINER, break, SIERRA INDIA TANGO, this is LAZY BOY, LAZY BOY, out"

EAM: Emerging Artist Message
This Flash Priority message type promulgates official information regarding new artists in a given recipients local music scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi3Eu4wptn0

Offline Rizla

• Sonoran Desert, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2018, 0639 UTC »
a sudden drop off in activity could be just as important of an indicator as an increase in activity.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 1226 UTC by R4002

Truer words have never been spoken, well done R4002.  ;D

Josh, your magnificent analysis has, until now, not been as widely lauded as it deserves. I particularly like this:

"EAM: Emerging Artist Message
This Flash Priority message type promulgates official information regarding new artists in a given recipients local music scene."

If only the EAM's were so interesting... Still, mega points to Josh for a new approach to the football field of traffic analysis, which will surely reach new points as the pundits fathom Germany's World Cup defeat. LOL and cheers!
QTH: Sonoran Desert, AZ. Kenwood TS-820S, FT-891, Tecsun 880, neophyte in a forest of antenna wire.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2018, 1425 UTC »
Thank you but I hardly deserve any credit. What motivated me was watching a few of the eam - related vids on youtube and becoming very depressed, so I made up some new acronyms for eam for fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWZXinRwCaE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VG2aJyIFrA

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 1217 UTC »
Maybe more music-themed callsigns in use.  Wait for "GROUND CONTROL calling MAJOR TOM" on 11175 USB
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline RickF

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 2205 UTC »
Hey Token and all.  A comment or possibly more  accurately a question.  I have copied literally hundreds of both EAM's and Sky King messages over the years.  It's not uncommon that while monitoring the actual message, I can also detect what I would describe as "crew chatter" and "engine noise".  Sometimes when this occurs, I can locate an airborne E4B or an E6B over CONUS. 

I guess the question is, Am I actually hearing "crew chatter" / "engine noise" or something else?  Also, if in fact the message was transmitted by an airborne a/c is it safe to assume the platform is an E4B or E6B.  Just a quick note, I am assuming if the EAM/Sky King is being transmitted by an a/c, the a/c is not going to be visible on any radar / plane spotter sites.

Thanks in Advance. 

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 1727 UTC »
E4B and E6B can "inject traffic" directly into the net once they've authenticated and entered the net via their organic hf/uhf/shf gear. You'll often hear crew chatter and background noise on hfgcs, regardless if it's traffic from aircraft or ground stations.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 1738 UTC by Josh »

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 1911 UTC »
11175 USB 1855Z 16SEP18

SULW2Q standby
SULW2Q standby, message follows SULW2Q7KQN26D7B7FG2ZWMLLVZPJT

GOODRICH out

Offline [tRMZ]

• MI's Copper Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 2012 UTC »
The call signs are more than likely different bases or aircraft using a rotating schedule of callsigns (I recall they used the names of different bands, heard PINK FLOYD, etc.) as callsigns - then FRESHMAN and LINEBACKER.  There are definite themes to the pool of callsigns that they rotate through. 

The reference to Wing Attack Plan R (and Dr. Strangelove in general) is actually somewhat accurate.  The use of authentication is a major plot point in that film - and in Crimson Tide too! (remember the CRM-114 discriminator - ignored all radio traffic except traffic that had the correct three letter coded prefix - that happened to be O P E [precious bodily fluids, purity of essence etc.]?) - the use of authentication is extremely important with "in the clear" networks such as HF-GCS...it wouldn't be too difficult to create imitation traffic on that network but without the correct authentication codes it would be obvious to all concerned that that traffic was fake (spoofing attempt). 

As mentioned, it is highly likely that a large amount of traffic heard on 4724 USB, 6712 USB, 6739 USB, 8992 USB, 11175 USB, 13200 USB and 15016 USB is likely "filler" traffic - since the EAMs use the One Time Pad method encryption the only possible way to glean information from listening to them is through traffic analysis...which can be mitigated by simply having huge amounts of "dummy" traffic mixed in with the actual messages. 

Haha man I had a roommate for 5 yrs. ..he was my parents' age and he was a retired attorney. Man he LOVED Dr. Strangelove..."our precious bodily fluids, Mandrake!"

I didn't really get too into that film but no offense I'm not hostile to it!

But EAMs are "one-time pad" encryptions? You think they change their "pad" every day, or week, or what?

I just figured it was a different method of encryption. Anyhow...I've been back listening to em more again lately.

You think there's actual significance to  a 33-character msg or 36-character msg...cuz I'm counting usually like 30 characters (including callsign) and I've never heard them specify until recently, but NOT for the 30-character ones; so, it caught my attention. You think they're more/less significant? Or for different purpose? I defer to your judgement!

Yeah like I always say...the best way to manage this kinda s**t...is to constantly send dummy msgs. Yup. I also think if I was in charge we'd alternate the language of voiced numbers stations. Since you only gotta know how to count to 10.

Heck I'd use different languages for EAMs and coded word-msgs. Yup. Inundate the air with poppycock. Clearly a sound logical tactic :-)

But above all we must protect our bodily fluids!! ;-)
-----------
9/25/2018
(18:33z) 8992U

U7THBO stand by
U7THBO stand by
U7THBO stand by

MESSAGE OF 36 CHARACTERS FOLLOWS:

U7THBO
H6VPVMFGJMS3GNWDAPVSZNTI73HOQS

I SAY AGAIN... (rpt msg)

THIS IS TRAM SIX (←?). OUT!
------------
9/25/2018
(18:43z) 8992U

VDXVVI stand by
VDXVVI stand by
VDXVVI stand by

MESSAGE FOLLOWS:

VDXVVI
KJIMSLBCOQEXFGHQGKKXJNT4

I SAY AGAIN... (rpt msg)

THIS IS TRAM SIX(←?). OUT!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 2058 UTC by [tRMZ] »
--------------------------------------
Upper MI's Copper Country
•Grundig Satellit 750• w/wire-clip
•Kaito 1103• w/wire-clip EXT ant
•Uniden BC125AT•
•Uniden BCD436HP•
2 •GE 3-5980A handheld CB•

(I got another EXT SW antenna but haven't taken it out of the box just yet!)