We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Posting images on the HFU  (Read 7437 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Posting images on the HFU
« on: June 14, 2018, 2029 UTC »
Attachments are now disabled. They consume huge amounts of disk space and slow things down.   If you wish to post an image, it's trivial to do so via imgur and other services. They let you post huge images, often without any (reasonable) size limits

For example:

1. Go to https://imgur.com
2. Click the New Post button
3. Paste your image into your browser window
4. Right click on the image URL
5. Paste the image URL into the message you are posting on the HFU, in between IMG tags.
6. You're done!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 2044 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline TheRelayStation

• 5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
    • View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
Re: Posting images on the HFU
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 2145 UTC »
sorry Chris, any attachments that i did attach, i resized and further compressed to reduce the file size dramatically, i believe the last attachments i had were well under 100Kbytes.
i do completely understand where you are coming from though concerning the use of image attachments using storage space and bandwidth.
perhaps you may want to cross-link this post as a "sticky" for the frequently used discussion threads that use attachments.
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com
https://vaughn.live/cabletv

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 1844 UTC »
Chris - can you pin this post?
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 2038 UTC »
5. Paste the image URL into the message you are posting on the HFU, in between IMG tags.

A long time ago I had to discover this on my own so here it is for those who don't yet know: 

image tags consist of bracketing your image's URL with [/img] at the end of the URL and almost the same tag at the beginning of the URL but without the / character before the img characters between the brackets

(I have to explain it in this convoluted way because if I spell it out completely the forum will try to display an image when there isn't one.)

So if I have an image that is hosted somewhere I can grab its URL such as this nice NDB beacon in Nevada

http://www.auroralchorus.com/ndb/emc375_2.jpg

Then I add the image tags in the proper spots at the beginning and at the end of the url

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 2039 UTC by Teotwaki »
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 1840 UTC »
Attachments are now disabled. They consume huge amounts of disk space and slow things down.   If you wish to post an image, it's trivial to do so via imgur and other services. They let you post huge images, often without any (reasonable) size limits

For example:

1. Go to https://imgur.com
2. Click the New Post button
3. Paste your image into your browser window
4. Right click on the image URL
6. You're done!

imgur appears to have changed things since Chris wrote this. The flow is slightly different now so I'm going to update below:

• https://imgur.com
  • Click on green "New post" button.
  • Either drag and drop an image or upload it from your computer as shown.
  • With it uploaded to imgur.com, mouse over the image to the three dots in the upper right corner. Click on that area, you will see an option named "get share options".
  • You will see an option called "BBC Code (Forums)". Click on the green "Copy Link" button to the right of it.
  • Go back to your HF Undergeround post. Paste the code you just copied from imgur straight into your post. No need to use the "insert image" or "insert hyperlink" buttons because they are already inserted for you.
  • Complete.
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline syfr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 0002 UTC »
Can someone please post contemporary instructions to post images here ?

I've gone through most of the legacy instructions, yet....
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

Offline Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 0048 UTC »
Here is what I do to upload images

1. Go to https://imgbb.com/
2. Click on the blue "start uploading" button.
3. Upload an image
4. Select “BBCode full linked” under the “Embed codes”
5. Copy the link
6. Paste in link in your post
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 0119 UTC »
Can someone please post contemporary instructions to post images here ?

I've gone through most of the legacy instructions, yet....

I fixed your post    8)

It's the one "Mod Power" I find to be useful....

The bottom line is, whatever code you copy out of any image you want the one that ends in    .jpeg  or .jpg   or similar,

like this  https://i.imgur.com/myAGosE.jpeg

I went to your post, did a quote function, saw the non-jpeg image code, copied that, went to that link and then.....
I right clicked on the image and selected "COPY IMAGE ADDRESS" which gave me the jpeg address which I pasted between the bracketed image command I outlined in my previous post. No matter what web site you find the image on this approach generally works.

Marmot pix I lifted from my blog...

Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

Offline syfr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 1301 UTC »

I demand a thank you directed your way!

(thank you!)
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2022, 2010 UTC »
You can't trust those West Coast marmots like you can the Eastern Groundhog. A groundhog might take a finger off if you're dumb enough to try to pet it, but those Western marmots will give you the Plague just like their Asian cousins, if you don't follow the Mongolian Method of cleaning and cooking them. Your pal McGreevy seems cooty enough to eat marmot,Teotwaki. Tell him the trick is to kill,clean, and cook the marmot while getting those hundreds of hungry fleas that were on the marmot looking for a warm-bloodied host somewhere besides himself. If he can figure that out, he'll live fat and happy the rest of his life.

BTW, I've ran across the name Steven P. McGreevy once or twice in my Pirate career. An alias of yours or a running fake feud ala Al Fansome and myself? I'll step aside if it's either. I hated it when people tried to horn in that didn't know the schtick.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2022, 1606 UTC »
You can't trust those West Coast marmots like you can the Eastern Groundhog. A groundhog might take a finger off if you're dumb enough to try to pet it, but those Western marmots will give you the Plague just like their Asian cousins, if you don't follow the Mongolian Method of cleaning and cooking them. Your pal McGreevy seems cooty enough to eat marmot,Teotwaki. Tell him the trick is to kill,clean, and cook the marmot while getting those hundreds of hungry fleas that were on the marmot looking for a warm-bloodied host somewhere besides himself. If he can figure that out, he'll live fat and happy the rest of his life.

BTW, I've ran across the name Steven P. McGreevy once or twice in my Pirate career. An alias of yours or a running fake feud ala Al Fansome and myself? I'll step aside if it's either. I hated it when people tried to horn in that didn't know the schtick.

When I was a kid many moons ago, you'd go above timberline and marmot sightings were as rare as four leaf clovers. Sometime in the 80s they started becoming tame (especially on popular roads like Mt Evans, Pike's Peak, and Trail Ridge through Rocky Mountain NP), probably because they started developing a taste for tourist junk like bologna and cheese. At least that's what I assume - unlike the chipmunks, they still keep their distance from people. That's probably why I've never heard of someone getting sick like that.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail