We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: DXing Baseball June 15-16, 2018  (Read 950 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Tuned in, turned on with no drop out in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
DXing Baseball June 15-16, 2018
« on: June 15, 2018, 2324 UTC »
The second go of it of the year, it looks like 10 different games are possible for reception.  Plus, the NBA & NHL playoffs conflicts are over. As always, stations are at least 75 miles away from my home base in south central Connecticut.  Will be updated throughout the evening.  All are flagship unless noted.

2317z WFAN 660 am New York City Excellent Reception. Rays at Yankees. "...and he runs him back toward first for the double play.  That's the end of the inning.  After a half inning, Rays nothing, Yanks coming up to bat."  Game 1

2329z WFED 1500 am Washington, D. C. Very good reception (surprising, sunset almost an hour away).  Nationals at Blue Jays.  "I think he's going to try and stay in the game, ball three full count.  Pay off pitch, strike three - we will watch Adam to see if he stays in the game.  Soto is on his way to second with a double, his third extra base hit in two days. Severino singles to center, Soto scores, it's 2-0 Nationals top of the second". Game 2

2341z WADO 1280 am New York City Excellent Reception. Rays at Yankees (in Spanish). Rickie Ricardo (really his name) doing commercial for Toyota of Huntington, Long Island.  Greg Bird leads off and singles to right for Yanks' first hit, "cero-cero" in the second inning

0003z WTEM 980 am Washington, DC Fair reception (fades, a battle with another station in Worcester, MA on same frequency).  Marlins at Orioles "0-2 the count. Two outs, no score in the top of the fourth." (Oriole affiliate station) Game 3

0027z WRVA 1140am Richmond, VA Good Reception Nationals at Blue Jays "Throw to first, Turner gets back. Two outs in the top of the fifth, 3-2 Jays."  "Wild pitch, Turner scores from third - we are tied at three.  Murphy just misses hitting it out, that's the end of the inning"

0053z WCMC 1230z Wildwood, NJ Good Reception Phillies at Brewers "...and the inning is finally over. A rough one for Arrieta.  Five runs and after three, 5-0 Brewers." Game 4

0100z WTAM 1100 am Cleveland Very Good Reception Twins at Indians   Ballpark Mustard Commercial, Station ID, to "Tom Hamilton and Jim Rosenhaus here.  Top of the seventh 6-1 Twins.  Tribe has not played well tonight, Lindor with a couple of errors." then gives all current scores. Game 5

0105z WOR 710 am New York Excellent Reception  Mets at Diamondbacks.  Met pre-game show.  Met Manager Callaway discussing pitching staff and switching players between starting and relieving. Game 6

0119z CKGM 690 am Montreal (in English) Good reception. Nationals at Blue Jays. "The sun has now set.  First pitch is fouled away. 6-3 Jays in the top of the eighth." (Blue Jay affiliate station)

0122z WVMT 620 am Burlington, VT  Good Reception  Rays at Yankees "Suzyn Waldman reading scores from the the league. "Betances strikes out Bauers for the second out. Ramos fouls it off, 0-2.  Betances catches Ramos looking, after seven and a half 2-0 Yankees." (Yankee Radio Affiliate)

0138 z WLW 700 am Cincinnati. Good Reception  Reds at Pirates.  "Reds had runners at first and second in the third with no one out, they scored a run but left runners on.  2-2 pitch, Winkler pops up.  One out, 3-2 Pirates, top of the eighth". Game 7

0151z WVEI 1440 am Worcester, MA  Very Good Reception  Red Sox at Mariners.  Red Sox pre-game show.  "Red Sox off to one of the best starts in the team's history."  Joe Castiglione and Alex Cora discussing last night's game  Game 8

0158z WGN 720 am Chicago. Very good reception.  Tigers at White Sox.  Station ID "Cedeno is warming up in the bull pen 1-1 count.  Fly ball to center.  That will do it for the inning, Tigers 3 Soxnothing after six"  Game 9.

Darn - can't get 10th Cubs/Cards - Spanish station in Miami blocking Chicago WSCR, no hint of KMOX.  Nighty-nite.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 0207 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: DXing Baseball June 15-16, 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 0258 UTC »
As of 0258 it's the bottom of the 8th for the Rockies. See if you can hear anything on 850 AM. It's after dark here in Denver now.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Tuned in, turned on with no drop out in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 0941 UTC »
Didn't read your reply 'til morning but I have never been able to get KOA.  I have occasionally gotten Minneapolis & New Orleans, and recently Miami, but Denver is too far.  Plus, WEEI Boston - an occasional catch - is on 850 am.  It's a 50,000 watt Class B station which covers the Ocean better than the rest of New England
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 2012 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 0201 UTC »
I used to get KOA and a couple of other Rocky Mt. MW's before the rules on nighttime MW broadcasting were loosened. Since then they're a rare thing.