We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 11015 USB  (Read 2210 times)

Offline [tRMZ]

• MI's Copper Country
    • View Profile
11015 USB
« on: June 20, 2018, 2328 UTC »
right now @ 23:12z I'm hearing CW. And it's too fast for me to translate but from 23:00z to 23:07z, they were beeping the letters 'V' and 'U' over and over. I wrote it down, mostly was 'V' and now and then I caught a 'U' in there.

I was going to just report that, but at 23:13z they started beeping diff characters...I caught 4VUV4VU

Then they started beeping what sounds like actual msg...

so what's the deal w this? I'm just learning Morse right now so...u guys can check this out and report back to me! 8)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 2331 UTC by [tRMZ] »
--------------------------------------
Upper MI's Copper Country
•Grundig Satellit 750• w/wire-clip
•Kaito 1103• w/wire-clip EXT ant
•Uniden BC125AT•
•Uniden BCD436HP•
2 •GE 3-5980A handheld CB•

(I got another EXT SW antenna but haven't taken it out of the box just yet!)

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 11015 USB
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 1601 UTC »
I am going to move this thread to the Utility forum, since that probably fits the signal a bit better.  If you read the Read Me post at the top of the Mystery forum you will see that that forum is really intended for mystery modes, vs source identification.

With that said, get set up to do audio recordings of signals.  Without more detail than you have provided it is unlikely you will get a meaningful answer.  An audio recording goes a long way to confirming a signal type.

Here is the problem, are you sure it is really CW you are hearing?  There are several possible signals that operate around that frequency, and none of the better candidates are Morse code.  FSK, various digital modes, and Link-11 are the most likely.

If I had to guess, I would say you are hearing the Doppler tone of a Link 11 signal.  There is a relatively active Link 11 on 11016 kHz USB, this would put the Doppler tone on 11016.605 kHz, or at about 1605 Hz audio if you tuned to 15015 kHz in USB mode.  So you might hear short and long pulses, that can be mistaken for CW.  The fact you are hearing only U’s, V’s, and 4’s can support the Link 11 possibility, it can sound something like those characters under some conditions.

T!

T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: 11015 USB
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 1720 UTC »
Yep, the doppler track in a link11 sig was my first guess when he posted 11115. Also I think there's some cis bee station around that part of 11mhz.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns