We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Brother Stair in Europe!  (Read 3915 times)

Offline CoolAM Radio

• Netherlands
  • CoolAM Radio... So Cool... that it's Hot!
    • View Profile
    • CoolAM Radio - ShortWave 6735
    • Email
Brother Stair in Europe!
« on: July 17, 2018, 1034 UTC »
It seems "Brother Stair" has also find his way to Europe
by renting airtime on Channel292!

I've informed the station ( for which I'm a 'volunteer for making Jingles-/Promo's-/and Programs' myself! )
with following information :

For your attention!

I don't think it's wise, to rent airtime to ""Brother Stair"

I don't know - you know he was in jail (pedophile):

The charges, all filed by the sheriff’s office investigators, include three counts
of first-degree criminal sexual conduct and single counts of assault with the
intent to commit criminal sexual conduct, kidnapping, second-degree assault,
first-degree burglary, and third-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor.

http://walterborolive.com/2017/12/update-arrest-of-brother-ralph-stair-confirmed-on-multiple-charges-news-the-press-and-standard/

In my opinion it will be better NOT give airplay to him!

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

André
CoolAM Radio - ShortWave
Make your dream a reality...
                Then go to sleep...
                        Have another dream and do it again!

Sweet dreams!!!

http://jingleproductions.coolam.nl
   Transmitters Do It On Air!!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Online redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brother Stair in Europe!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 1228 UTC »
Moneys Money, Honey  :P

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 1723 UTC »
Pecunia non olet
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ThElectriCat

• Hillsboro OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 0439 UTC »
I hope I am not getting too political, but many commercial radio stations (including the ones I work for) run shows like Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, etc
these shows fit into the conservative talk radio format, and are not allowed to stray outside that format.
I am not saying that conservatism is necessarily wrong, nor am I saying Limbaugh or Hannity are pedophiles, but it seems to me like adhering to a format where only one side or one opinion is allowed, is a sell out, regardless of any criminal history of the host.

I am also not necessarily defending brother stair, but a radio broadcasting license, studio transmitter link licenses, electricity, facilities maintainence, studio staffing ets is really expensive. In these days of a connected world, radio stations are scrambling to keep the books in the black, and will do anything possible to make money.  Renting airtime pays well, and often the rented shows also generate revenue for the station.

I wish it were not so
In another life, I could have been a telephone engineer.

Weed Dick

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 0919 UTC »
Who’s Brother Stair??  :o

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 1524 UTC »
Hitler would have loved Limbaugh and Hannity, Stair not so much.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 1852 UTC »
I hope I am not getting too political, but many commercial radio stations (including the ones I work for) run shows like Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, etc
these shows fit into the conservative talk radio format, and are not allowed to stray outside that format.
I am not saying that conservatism is necessarily wrong, nor am I saying Limbaugh or Hannity are pedophiles, but it seems to me like adhering to a format where only one side or one opinion is allowed, is a sell out, regardless of any criminal history of the host.

I understand your position, but unless a talk station is in a small market, they generally can't sell well unless they stick to the talk format, be it conservative talk, sports talk, or whatever. It's an actual format, and radio stations usually have to stick to the format or they find it difficult to market their airtime to advertisers.

In some smaller markets, a station can have a liberal, a conservative, and maybe something in between (Jim Bohannon at night, one of the all night news shows, etc.). A small AMer in another regional city here in the PNW does that. And I think it's cool they do so. A bit of variety in the talk programming.

As far as Brother Stair goes, the SW stations are having trouble staying on the air. Since Stair more or less left the airwaves, I hear very little from the US domestic broadcasters -- several of them seem to have reduced their airtime by a lot since his legal troubles began.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 2117 UTC »
Much has been said about the advent of the internet leading to the last dying gasps of shortwave radio as a viable medium for a vanishingly small audience. How many listeners are left and how much will we compromise our tastes in broadcasting in order to preserve it? Do we really need to become apologists for the likes of Ralph Stair and Alex Jones to preserve the last of what was once a thriving, vibrant, and fascinating hobby? The cost is too high in my personal opinion. Is the financial backing of such people justifiable to stem the tide of shortwave station closures? No more shortwave vs Brother Stair? What's the difference?
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 1158 UTC »
FWIW, the religious broadcasters have never bothered me, I just tune past them. After I've listened once and gotten my QSL  ;D
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 1743 UTC »
I don't think most people have a problem with the broadcasts per se*, but it's very tiresome when all you can hear on the broadcast bands is religious stuff, or RHC, or maybe CRI or the CRN1 jammer. Even on a good day, those stations can account for half of the decent, copyable signals. It gets old, unless RHC is playing some good music.

* Stair is the exception for reasons much discussed in the past. No need to rehash them now.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Online redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 1802 UTC »

I understand your position, but unless a talk station is in a small market, they generally can't sell well unless they stick to the talk format, be it conservative talk, sports talk, or whatever. It's an actual format, and radio stations usually have to stick to the format or they find it difficult to market their airtime to advertisers.

In some smaller markets, a station can have a liberal, a conservative, and maybe something in between (Jim Bohannon at night, one of the all night news shows, etc.). A small AMer in another regional city here in the PNW does that. And I think it's cool they do so. A bit of variety in the talk programming.

As far as Brother Stair goes, the SW stations are having trouble staying on the air. Since Stair more or less left the airwaves, I hear very little from the US domestic broadcasters -- several of them seem to have reduced their airtime by a lot since his legal troubles began.

All the small markets I've seen usually have a full service music station running country, classic hits, or sometimes talk, but that is rare.  Full service stations do the music, but also swap shop, network news at the top of the hour, and usually some flavor of local/regional sports.

At least these formats are viable.  Usually the death nail for a small station is being flipped to mexican or religion.  I think I would rather listen to conservative talk rather than the other two, even if it makes me pull the plug once in a while.  I just wish there was a more centered alternative to the far flung extremes we get in talk radio.  Then again, follow the money; big business likes doing business with conservative radio.  The reason there are few liberal alternatives boils down to sponsors.  Outside of the left coast and large cities, it's a tough sell, one of the reasons Air America went under as I understand it.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 1822 UTC »
Air America was basically trying to be a left version of Limbaugh and Hannity. Progressives prefer less polemic radio. Plus, it came out when things like internet streaming, podcasts, and satellite radio were coming into their own. They might have succeeded if they started out ten years earlier, or tried working on those platforms.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 0039 UTC »
Some of the stuff on Progressive Voices is a little bit to the left. And WCPT is OK. But other than that what else is there? I've been looking.

Offline ThElectriCat

• Hillsboro OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 0412 UTC »
To be honest, the most frustrating part is not even the content, but the fact that it is the same content on every station.  When I tune from 530 to 1600 KHz, it dosent seem to matter how good the dx is, I dont hear anything within the US worth listening to (unfortunately, my RX stops at 1600)

Then again, an optimist would probably  say that the difficult stations  between the numerous syndicated satellite repeaters  are the real reward for listening, but that dosent mean hearing the same show on several frequencies isnt a little disheartening.
In another life, I could have been a telephone engineer.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 1356 UTC »
To be honest, the most frustrating part is not even the content, but the fact that it is the same content on every station.  When I tune from 530 to 1600 KHz, it dosent seem to matter how good the dx is, I dont hear anything within the US worth listening to (unfortunately, my RX stops at 1600)

Then again, an optimist would probably  say that the difficult stations  between the numerous syndicated satellite repeaters  are the real reward for listening, but that dosent mean hearing the same show on several frequencies isnt a little disheartening.

This. That's the biggest reason why I've yet to get serious about MW DXing. One of the great appeals of SW is to hear the news and music of other countries and cultures. But from my suburban location in the middle of the continent, all I can really get is other American AM stations, which have little to distinguish themselves from what I have locally, or from one another. And if I'm getting Mexican stations, they're hard to distinguish from any Spanish language station in the SW USA which is intended for the Mexican American market. The best thing I've gotten in the way of MW DX is Cuban stations like Radio Rebelde on MW.

That said, I'll probably make more of an effort this winter. We have a couple of years of rock bottom SFI to look forward to, so we have to make the best of the situation.
Denver, CO.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns