We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Misplaced FAX on 11175khz  (Read 1169 times)

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Misplaced FAX on 11175khz
« on: July 19, 2018, 1404 UTC »
In the past few days the NOAA we-fax from Honolulu has been transmitted (for some reason) on 11175khz - most reports are 1300-1600z time frame but some as late as 2200-0000z.
FPE
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Misplaced FAX on 11175khz
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 1746 UTC »
Here's a screenshot of a recent copy of same - courtesy of another DXer:

https://ibb.co/jm2huJ
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline GC

• View Profile
Re: Misplaced FAX on 11175khz
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 1352 UTC »
I spent some time listening for this FAX signal and managed to hear it this morning and was able to copy some of the maps being sent.[/size]This facsimile broadcast does in fact appear to KVM70 from Honolulu. What maps transmitted when match the published schedule for Honolulu and one of the maps I did copy a map clearly noted KVM70 on it.Also, after much trying I managed to get the KiwiSDR TDoA to provide a fix - tried at least a half dozen times trying different receivers, all failed but two but those two where reasonably close in agreement that the source was near mid Pacific.As best as I could measure, carrier frequency was near 11177.30kHz and while this frequency was active with this FAX signal, I heard nothing on Honolulu's posted frequencies of 9982.5, 11090, or 16135 kHz.signal strength in Eastern Ontario SINPO 32233. GHFS broadcasts on 11175kHz did not interfere much when they were active. The FAX signal has faded out in Eastern Ontario but is strong on online SDR's in the Western area of North America.copied FAX having KVM70 noted and screen capture of one of my feeble KiwiSDR TDoA attempts:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7iqtwfq1lbh2a2e/AABUzHB7tpSrd88jaYm5c2M8a?dl=0And this is a link to the NWS NOAA Worldwide Marine Radiofacsimile Broadcast Schedules date September 21, 2017:http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/marine/rfax.pdfInterestingly, Honolulu VOLMET (also KVM70) is NOTAM'ed US til April 15, 2019; I wonder if there is some connection to this FAX being on this frequency and not the usual ones? cheers, Graham near Ottawa Canada[/size]