We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Favorite coax for HF receive antennas ?  (Read 2213 times)

Offline IQ_imbalance

• Central MD
    • View Profile
Favorite coax for HF receive antennas ?
« on: July 19, 2018, 2129 UTC »
I'm going to have to run something like 100'-120' ft of coax to get my LOG antenna connected to my radio room.  Anyone have favorite versions of coax beyond RG-8/U, LMR-400/DMR-400, RG-6/U, and/or favorite vendors?    It's for HF <15Mhz RECEIVE ONLY, direct (shallow) burial.

Thanks,
RF
LOG/NE-SW unterminated BOG/DJ-130/800Mhz Yagi
AFEDRI SDR-Net ICF-SC1 SDS-200 various RTL-SDR
Central MD

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Favorite coax for HF receive antennas ?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 2213 UTC »
I use RG-6 TV coax now exclusively. It's easy to get, cheap, and for receive applications works great. I just ran two runs about 150+ ft each to the two new (south and south-south-west) beverages.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 2214 UTC »
I use Davis RF's Bury Flex direct in the ground running close to 100' back to my 4 Square for the last 10 years with no problems.
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 2257 UTC »
RG-6...  it's cheap, readily available, low loss, and easy to work with.  Use it around here for just about everything.
Costs less than .10/ft and have even scored it for free.  The gel filled stuff is for direct bury but is more expensive and messy to work with.
IHMO, for hobby use, the general purpose cable will be fine in the ground as long as the outer jacket isn't damaged.
Just slit the turf and stick it in the ground an inch or two.
However, always call the utility cable locator before digging.
For example, the phone and cable guys use the same shallow technique...
you don't want to hit anything.
Also, be aware if there are underground lawn sprinklers those pipes and wires can be very shallow buried.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline IQ_imbalance

• Central MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 2305 UTC »
Thanks all.  Will hit the internets and shop around this evening. Right now my radio is by the front door w/coax sneaking in through the screen door. Not a permanent installation.....
LOG/NE-SW unterminated BOG/DJ-130/800Mhz Yagi
AFEDRI SDR-Net ICF-SC1 SDS-200 various RTL-SDR
Central MD

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 2352 UTC »
I agree with RG6.  If you have a lot of critters around, the direct bury cable with the gel does not seem to be as appetizing to them.  I have 5 runs of 200 feet in place, and no cable has failed yet.

I have used environmentally sealed connectors (such as Snap N Seal) for a number of years without failure outdoors.  These require a stripper and crimper, but these can generally be found at a reasonably cheap price.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline GC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 0054 UTC »
For receive only I have been using a good quality RG6 cable. Common, inexpensive and the compression connectors are easy and quick to install.

However, to throw a twist (pun intended) into the discussion, I have also been using outdoor or direct burial rated CAT5 or CAT6 network cable. This cable is 4 twisted pairs of about 24 AWG with an impedance of around 100 ohms. Simple matching transformers on either end to convert from unbalanced 50 ohm (or whatever you might require) to the balanced 100 ohm cable and then back again.

Common and inexpensive, the only challenge perhaps are the matching transformers.

cheers, Graham near Ottawa Canada

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 1713 UTC »
For cat 5 baluns you can always salvage a ready made one from any old nic card.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 1937 UTC »
Network cable is an interesting option. My crossed parallel loop uses the LZ1AQ amplifier, and it uses a run of shielded CAT5. One pair is the return signal, another is power, and the other wires are used for control signals - you have some control over how the four loops are fed to the amplifier.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns