We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID 840 khz 0330 UTC 22 July 2018  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Matt_B

• Southwestern CT, USA
    • View Profile
    • Radio Free Connecticut
UNID 840 khz 0330 UTC 22 July 2018
« on: July 22, 2018, 0337 UTC »
Anybody know what the heck this could be? Recorded from a SDR in West Chester, OH. 
Matt Boland
Southwestern CT
Owner/Operator, "Radio Free Connecticut"
PS4: JupBol16

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: UNID 840 khz 0330 UTC 22 July 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 1034 UTC »
The station it's wiping out is WHAS in Louisville, KY.  WHAS signal is strong enough here in the evening that racket is just a minor annoyance. It's been under WHAS for a good decade, on and off.

Nearby WLW in Cincy has it too, but it's much worse on their freq, where I'm at. I've often wondered given both stations locations close to Wright-Patterson AFB, if that's not where it originates at?

Personally, I think it's Gary Burbank in retirement in Florida getting revenge for all the times those two stations fired and rehired him. I wonder if his "Earl Pitts, Uhmerican!" bits are still being syndicated? IMO, Gary was the best drive time host I ever heard. He and his crew were anarchy in the booth.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 1935 UTC »
Sounds like a good candidate for tdoa. Just rule out the known transmit sites and you have the culprit.

Just tuned there to see if I can get whas and no prob, I'm 70 miles from them. Also note they only seem to tx a bit over 5KHz of audio each side of the carrier for some reason.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 1941 UTC by Josh »
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 0235 UTC »
I don't hear it the closer I get to the N. KY. area on trips. I put it down to signal strength that close in.

I'm still wondering if it's not a harmonic of a flight beacon intended for all the traffic in the crowded airspace in the N. KY./ Cincy-Dayton airspace going long?

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 1738 UTC »
It sounds like a distorted data sig to me, but how it gets emitted with enough power to cover ambc is beyond me. I was thinking it was a issue with ebs as ebs is connected to every bc station in the US, perhaps a glitch slipping onto the air.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.