We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WWV & WWVH Time Signals to go?  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
WWV & WWVH Time Signals to go?
« on: August 19, 2018, 0908 UTC »
Today I heard via our national amateur radio society news broadcast (WIA) that the American government ministry charged with the sector that runs Time Signal services WWV and WWVH is considering closing down both services on HF radio.

Other details not known, however, it would be a very sad day for many radio enthusiasts who calibrate their clocks with WWV and WWVH and use their propagation information plus Pacific weather bulletins.

Would be interested to see the details, probably economics involved and the march of technology I should think would be involved... :(
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: WWV & WWVH Time Signals to go?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 1644 UTC »
It is currently in a budget request from the White House. It may or may not mean anything because the budget request is simply the first step in negotiations with Congress, who actually sets the budget.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 1936 UTC »
They fight over pennies when trillions go to undeserving foreign despots, get rid of all the propaganda outlets like npr/pbs and voa, rfa, etc first.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 0404 UTC »
That's what the politicians said in Australia when Radio Australia budget was mentioned...six months later and it was off air for good! >:(
Condobolin, NSW.

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 1435 UTC »
I think that I speak for many, many shortwave radio enthusiasts when I say that it would be extremely sad to see the end of WWV. That faithful "tick tick" sound has been part of my life since I was old enough to spin a VFO.

Curt / W9SPY

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 1456 UTC »
Chris posted a link in the General section to an online petition to fight the closing.
FPE
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 1511 UTC »
Australia used to have a time signal service "VNG" at Lyndhurst in Victoria on 4.5, 7.5 and 12MHz, it too was closed down by the bean counters in Canberra despite protest by many in Australia and a number of Pacific island nations.

What will HF be like in another 30 or so years time, a wilderness of nothing but noise and hiss? 8)

The shortwave radio receiver will probably go like the land line telephone and consigned to the annals of history.
Condobolin, NSW.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns