We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 1089 Talksport, UK & 1550 KRPI Washington 13 Aug 2018 into Michigan  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
0230 UTC: 1089 Talksport, UK fair at times with sports talk and slight echo heard on signal peaks (they run multiple transmitters on the channel).  Relog but interesting to hear Trans-Atlantic stuff during the summer months.

0924 UTC: 1550 KRPI Ferndale, WA. over/under CBEF with South Asian chanting.  This one really stands out and easy to parallel against their webstream.  Relog but nice to hear again, especially in early August!

Both heard while testing the remote terminated D-KAZ loop which I just rebuilt.  Looks like things are working!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 2325 UTC by Kilokat7 »
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Jeezus H. Christ! Those are amazing catches from your location at this time of year. Congrats!

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Great catches indeed, the D-KAZ rebuild seems to be working fine.

My plan for winter MW DXing is to phase using the recently installed south and west beverages, in addition to the existing northeast beverage. I'm trying to come up with some software to automatically null out a particular station on a channel, and keep it nulled out, as it's annoying to have to continuously fiddle with the gain and phase settings.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
Thanks, Pigmeat.

Chris ~ The software sounds interesting but I think you will have better luck phasing two parallel wires vs. wires that are perpendicular to one another.  Space two parallel wires about two feet apart and cut one a bit shorter than the other and I think you'll get better results (avoid equal lengths).  Oh, and don't terminate the far ends if you plan on phasing them.  As you know, phasing will allow to you essentially reverse the antenna pattern as I do here with my unterminated BOG wires.  My wires are about 500 & 450 FT long.  I see good F/B nulling with the phased BOGs covering about 500 kHz worth of bandwidth before I have to tweak knobs on the phaser.  Yes, nighttime skywave can make phase-nulling tricky, but I generally don't have to fiddle with the knobs until I reach that bandwidth limit of about 500 kHz.  The nice thing about the DKAZ is that it is broadband.  Once you establish termination resistance, it's mostly "set and forget", which is great when recording the whole MW band!  The BOGs offer much more gain than a DKAZ, which is why most people amp their DKAZ loops.  My noise floor is usually quiet enough to where I can get away without running a preamp, but the gain really falls off at the bottom of the MW band.

PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Thanks as always for the suggestions, Kilokat7. I'll have to see what I can do about running a second parallel wire on one of the beverages. The west beverage would be the easiest, especially as it is barely terminated now, 2 or so feet into rocky soil hardly counts  ;D  I will need to run a third coax line to the starting location, however (it starts the same location as the south beverage, some distance from the shack). Sounds like a good late summer project.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree