We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Artificial Ground Tuner With A Receiver?  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Sherlock

• View Profile
Artificial Ground Tuner With A Receiver?
« on: August 14, 2018, 0253 UTC »
Has anybody tried an artificial ground tuner with their swl receiver? Is it worthwhile/practical?

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Artificial Ground Tuner With A Receiver?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 0330 UTC »
       Well, if you are stuck in an APT complex, or an H.O.L., it maybe one of the few GND counter poise options out there. Most of the time, the electrical GND sucks by just bringing in more noise, plumbing GND maybe an option, but that may either have power panels GND'ing to it, or might not be all copper, but PVC. So, that MFJ Artificial GND can indeed be useful and make a noticeable difference. I have found that I would need to retune that when switching from one band to another.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 1631 UTC »
When I was a cliff dweller, I was lucky enough to rate the cell right behind the fire alarm control panel, what a mess on hf that was. Only thing that helped was to get the antenna out the window and away from my cell and the other convict's cells. Why are they called apartments when they're all together like that? They shoulda called em togetherments. Anyway, you could try the ground thingy and see if it helps, but to me it's just a antenna tuner attached to your ground post. Why not get the best of both worlds and have a transmatch on the input and ground?
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Sherlock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 2035 UTC »
Using a "transmatch" will increase the s/n ratio. A "preselector" would be preferable i believe.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 0442 UTC »
A preselector typically only filters out unwanted energies and doesn't increase energy transfer of the desired signal, but they sometimes do. The typical cheap transmatch can increase energy transfer but typically shows a highpass filter effect, considering a T type circuit. A pi type will show a bandpass filter effect but is usually much more costly. Both can be handy, the T types do a good job of greatly reducing ambc power seen by the rig when tuned above ambc. Just some rantings for you.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns