We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Help: HDSDR + VAC + FLDIGI to Decode Digital Modes  (Read 1362 times)

Offline ultravista

• View Profile
    • Email
Help: HDSDR + VAC + FLDIGI to Decode Digital Modes
« on: August 19, 2018, 0306 UTC »
I am running Windows 10 with HDSDR & FLDIGI configured with VAC 4.51.

FLDIGI is configured for the VAC Line 1 and can 'see' the data streams from HDSDR when Windows 10 pipes the audio through VAC Line 1. This configuration appears to be working; however, the output of the FLDIGI decoder is gibberish.

For example, CW is unreadable despite being tuned properly in HDSDR and FLDIGI. Squelch on/off doesn't matter - everything is trash.

The FLDIGI decoder becomes legible only if I enable the Audio Repeater (KS) that comes with FLDIGI. When running, the FLDIGI ouput appears to be correct. Validated with WEFAX and CW.

In other words, FLDIGI only works properly with the Audio Repeater (KS) running; otherwise the output is trash.

I though the Audio Repeater was to pipe the audio elsewhere post FLDIGI, not into FLDIGI.

Does everyone else run the Audio Repeater too?

It doesn't make sense (to me) that I can see the signal in FLDIGI with and without the Audio Repeater running.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Help: HDSDR + VAC + FLDIGI to Decode Digital Modes
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 1946 UTC »
I dunno wtf is going on in your case but I can't find the menu to set time in hdsdr and it's driving me batty.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ultravista

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 0101 UTC »
I hope someone w/experience can help with this problem.

To the best of my knowledge, the Audio Repeater isn't necessary for FLDIGI to work.

Offline ultravista

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 0233 UTC »
In Windows 10, Line 1 (VAC) is the primary playback device - not recording device. FLDIGI is configured with Line 1 (VAC) for capture. When I change the SDR output to Line 1 (VAC), the waterfall display in FLDIGI  does display the signal; however, it does not decode anything until I enable the Audio Repeater for Line 1 (VAC).

Should VAC be setup for playback or recording?

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns