We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: The Relay Station 6880 AM 0022 UTC 21 Aug 2018  (Read 4436 times)

Offline TheRelayStation

• 5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
    • View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
Re: The Relay Station 6880 AM 0022 UTC 21 Aug 2018
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 2046 UTC »
Has OTR ever qsled anyone or has anyone ever seen one from them?
not that i know of.
i think it is either a radio museum exhibit or an ARO with a collection of radios that is using 6770Khz to broadcast to them (K3FEF does this with a part 15 AM TX to his collection of old radios).
someone if the forums speculated that it might be someone sending old time programming to another individual who has one of those very old self-standing "cabinet" type tube radios.
whatever it is and whatever the reason, it has baffled me for years wondering about it.

From what I've read, it is indeed a radio museum using homemade (very) low power transmitters on 770 kHz and 6770 kHz to pipe old time radio content to a collection of antique radios from a computer using Winamp (and a huge playlist) as the audio source.  No word on how much power is being transmitted, apparently the antenna is category 5 cable run behind the radios.  Considering how well you've done with 100-200 mW, I bet OTR on 6770 kHz is transmitting similar QRPP power levels. 

I like the idea of running 100-200mW power output 24/7, much like Old Time Radio / OTR on 6770 kHz (although we don't actually know how much power he's actually running but I imagine its something like 100mW or so...maybe a bit more?) - at that level, you're acting like a propagation beacon.  I know you do 50 watts and 500 watts...is there a way to do maybe 4-5 watts carrier power 24/7 or whenever you're transmitting?
i could vary the power level between 0-50W on the TX but i feel "comfortable" at power levels under 500mW.
i might consider 1W though.
4-5W would likely be too much based on my location and that im reaching Ohio/Michigan (when the band conditions open up) at the current 100-200mW which is actually, pretty amazing for AM at that level of power, i can imagine what 4-5W would do.

Good point.  1 watt would be good (I'm assuming you're talking about 1 watt carrier power, not 1 watt PEP) too I think.  Maybe 500mW?  That would give you 2 watts PEP at 100% modulation.

Regardless, you're doing very well.  Kudos to whatever you've got for an antenna setup.
thanks R4002.
i should mention the AM-PEP is around +/- 500mW.
the antenna is a full wave 14GA twisted copper wire counterpoise horizontal dipole about 35FT above the ground in a completely open space.
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com
https://vaughn.live/cabletv

Offline PRO2006

• View Profile
Re: The Relay Station 6880 AM 0022 UTC 21 Aug 2018
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 0052 UTC »
That is very interesting on the OTR station, I had no idea. Has anyone noticed if the program is repeating? The thing has just been running 24/7 for years....crazy.

SDRs, PL-880, Alpha Delta DX-SWL Sloper, X-Wing SATCOM, Southern Colorado

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns