We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 1180 Khz Radio Rebelde heard in PNW -- first time in years  (Read 1311 times)

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Last night whilst doing some creative writing I had my Sangean PR-D5 on 1180 KOFI, listening to Coast To Coast. Behind it was the usual weak local station KLAY with Jim Bohannon's show, and then there was some music.

The only real music station I've heard on 1180 is Rebelde, which sometimes used to come in strong enough to be heard on a Walkman, even unaided.

I took out a SW radio and tuned to 5025 -- same music.

I haven't heard Rebelde on 1180 since probably 2015 or 2016. Perhaps this DX season will pick up a bit. Hopefully so.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
Re: 1180 Khz Radio Rebelde heard in PNW -- first time in years
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 1547 UTC »
Nice catch, Boombox.  Conditions have been good.  I had 600 KOGO San Diego (5 kw) yesterday morning at sunrise, completely taking over the channel and blowing out usual WMT.  KOGO is just over 1,800 miles from my West Michigan location.  A nice kickoff to the DX season here..

PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: 1180 Khz Radio Rebelde heard in PNW -- first time in years
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 1829 UTC »
I suspect the dismal hf condx will play into some spectacular dx on mw and lower.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.