We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Windy Problems 4102.8 CW 1046 UTC 30 Jan 2019  (Read 1525 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Windy Problems 4102.8 CW 1046 UTC 30 Jan 2019
« on: January 30, 2019, 1048 UTC »
I was listening to Windy for a few minutes with a nice signal (band conditions seem to be good this morning, stable signals and low noise), and it started to key down for several seconds at a time. It would then start to send normally again for a few seconds, and revert to the key down. I wasn't able to catch the battery voltage while it was sending OK, perhaps it is too low?  Actually, I think it is keying down during the period when the wind dits should be sent.

Seems back to normal at 1145, although no wind dits.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 1147 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
Re: Windy Problems 4102.8 CW 1046 UTC 30 Jan 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 1408 UTC »
I imagine the anenometer is simply making and breaking a switch contact for each rotation and the micro controller turns those into dits. As a baseline for wind indication we have heard lots of dits sent when there is a good breeze with variable spacing between dits indicating higher or lower speeds. Shortest spacing for higher wind speed.

The other possible states are:

No wind no dits
Very high wind causing one long tone instead of dits (I've heard this)
Possibly a long tone because the anenometer switch is staying closed

One other possibility for the long tones is a maintenance indicator about the battery or some other parameter.

Based on battery voltage swings I think the battery is going bad and the long tones could be a malfunction due to a large battery voltage sag when the transmitter keys.

Thoughts?
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

Offline Exo

• Coast of northern California
  • HF aficionado.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 0432 UTC »
Windy has been logged with the long dash, it happens a lot when there is very slow wind, then the wind stops so the anemometer stops in the middle of making a wind dit, which keeps it keyed.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 0434 UTC by Exo »
Exo
HF aficionado. On the coast of northern California.
Various receivers, transceivers, and broadband antennas.
kiwiSDR receiver on private LAN for multi-freq HF monitoring.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 1237 UTC »
That makes perfect sense, thanks for the explanation.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree