We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 6.849MHz USB Pacific station.  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
6.849MHz USB Pacific station.
« on: August 23, 2018, 1644 UTC »
Been hearing some chatter in Tok Pidgin language, which is used by Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea and parts of Vanuatu.  Seems to be a net that kicks off around 0800z daily, sometimes a few minutes earlier voices can be heard.

A female voice was heard the other evening saying: "Is there any more traffic?" in English.

Not sure if this is island council/village radio network or one of the many missionaries that have out posts in the islands, can any one help with this one, my resources have shown negative so far.

6.849MHz  USB  0800z  Tok Pidgin language. Located somewhere in Melanesia, South Pacific
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
Re: 6.849MHz USB Pacific station.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 0638 UTC »
I think this is one of the missionary channels out of the highlands of Papua New Guinea, had better reception last night and the lady net controller sounds similar as the one on the 8.076MHz morning sessions.

So more than likely P2A338 net control Ukurumpa, Papua New Guinea highlands region.

Unless anyone has anything more concrete then I think I can say "case closed"... :)
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns