We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Signals to Correlate with 22m beacons.  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Ed H

• View Profile
Signals to Correlate with 22m beacons.
« on: August 27, 2018, 1816 UTC »
Hi Folks,

One thing I have been attempting to pursue is finding a predictor/barometer for propagation at 22 m. Helpfully, there is a broadcast band nearby, and SW.info indicates that there are some potentially helpful signals:

13,840 - Radio New Zealand International
13,845 - WWCR University Network, based in Nashville USA

Ideally, schedules should line up with beacon listening, so that reception of beacons and broadcast can be compared. Has anyone else tried this approach?

Regards,

Ed

Offline Exo

• Coast of northern California
  • HF aficionado.
    • View Profile
Re: Signals to Correlate with 22m beacons.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 2039 UTC »
Hi Folks,

One thing I have been attempting to pursue is finding a predictor/barometer for propagation at 22 m. H
Ed

Hi Ed,

The 20 meter amateur band (14000 to 14350 kHz) is a good indicator.
If you can copy the lowest power level dash (100 mW) in the sequence of the IBP International Beacon Project IARU beacons on 14100.0 kHz, then there's a good chance of copying a HiFER micropower beacon on 13 MHz that is in the same geographic area as the IARU beacon.
https://www.ncdxf.org/beacon/

Copying WWV on 25 MHz or copying DX CBers on 27385 kHz LSB is an indicator of a Sporadic E (Es) propagation opening, and this is a prime time to look for 22 meter HiFER beacons.

In this low part of the solar cycle, there are 3 possible propagation paths for 13 MHz micropower beacons.
1. Local ground wave or line-of-sight <20 miles
2. Single hop Sporadic E (Es) ionospheric propagation 200 miles to 2000 miles
3. Single hop F2 propagation 300 miles to 3000 miles

Copying any double hop propagation for a micropower beacon is extremely unlikely.
Also, NVIS propagation is unlikely at 13 MHz, see this NVIS map:

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 2117 UTC by Exo »
Exo
HF aficionado. On the coast of northern California.
Various receivers, transceivers, and broadband antennas.
kiwiSDR receiver on private LAN for multi-freq HF monitoring.

Offline Ed H

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 2149 UTC »
Great info, thanks Exo.

I'm aware of the 20 m beacons, and need to spend a bit more time observing them - good reminder!

The reason for looking at broadcast signals is to have something that is more continuous in nature, and would perhaps provide signals strong enough to record an S meter reading.

Anyway, I appreciate the response and ideas for other things to track.

Cheers

Ed

Offline Prairiedog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 1718 UTC »
I don't really think broadcasters make very good indicators. Their schedules are not that consistent at the times of day when the band is open domestically, plus with power levels 70-80 dB greater than the target signals, well, they'll make it through 99 out of 100 times when a HiFER won't.

Having said that, RNZ may at least be some indicator of when trans-Pacific paths are open.  But otherwise, the ham 20 meter beacons are a more reasonable indicator IMO.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 1934 UTC »
When I first started jt65 I never could get Russia or Asia and just about gave up. Low antenna and low power so you know. I fired up on an absolutely empty 20m and was amazed when Russia came right back to me. Point being if you listen for them you just might hear them, even if it seems the band's dead.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Ed H

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 2036 UTC »
Well, I started trying to correlate anyway - this is as much empirical investigation as anything else. The 13845 kHz signal is there much of the day, and on Saturday, moved from S3-5 with deep fades up to S5-7. Beacon observations seemed to track this single point observation, but more samples will build the picture.

The project continues, and I'll start to compare the 20 m beacons as well - there are plenty of receivers available :)