We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Radio Caroline  (Read 4345 times)

Offline Exo

• Coast of northern California
  • HF aficionado.
    • View Profile
Radio Caroline
« on: August 28, 2018, 2205 UTC »
While in Liverpool on business in late 1979 into early 1980, I was invited to attend a fund-raising disco dance party for Radio Caroline.
I met some fascinating Radio Caroline staff and supporters there.
They gave me some Radio Caroline promotional items, which I later shared with friends.

My only surviving item from that event is a sticker, on a trusty old toolbox which has served me well around the world several times since then.

Purely for historical reference purposes, I'm posting a photo and information about the Radio Caroline sticker here.

Radio Caroline sticker. Photo date: 28 August 2018.
Photo description: Radio Caroline sticker, circa 1979-1980, on Craftsman metal toolbox; also WRNO Worldwide (shortwave broadcaster) sticker, circa 1980.
Sticker description: Round circle, diameter 5.5 inches (100mm) , white vinyl with black print, glossy.
Printed black image on white background sticker: Centre, silhouette line art of the Radio Caroline vessel " Mi Amigo " and text "ON 319 METRES"; Top text: "RADIO CAROLINE"; Bottom text: "ALBUM TRACKS FROM THE NORTH SEA" "PRODUCED BY FRS ENGLAND PO BOX 123 READING RG3 5JU"
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 0030 UTC by Exo »
Exo
HF aficionado. On the coast of northern California.
Various receivers, transceivers, and broadband antennas.
kiwiSDR receiver on private LAN for multi-freq HF monitoring.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: Radio Caroline
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 2313 UTC »
Nice WRNO sticker too. I have a couple of them unused.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Exo

• Coast of northern California
  • HF aficionado.
    • View Profile
Re: Radio Caroline
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 0032 UTC »
Nice WRNO sticker too. I have a couple of them unused.

The WRNO-Worldwide sticker on that toolbox was a promotional item, obtained directly from WRNO-FM staff, at least a year prior to WRNO going on the air.
At that time, it was still uncertain whether the license for WRNO would actually be granted.
One of my engineering colleagues at the time was also a part-time freelance promoter for a record label, and he obtained the sticker when we visited New Orleans on another project.
He went to WRNO-FM studio to try to push a new album to them.
My colleague knew that I was working in shortwave, so he gave me the WRNO brochure, asking if it was "really true that they could get a license for commercial shortwave broadcasting".
The stickers fell out of the WRNO brochure package when I opened it, so I stuck one on my toolbox, which happened to be sitting next to where the stickers fell on the floor :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 2018 UTC by Exo »
Exo
HF aficionado. On the coast of northern California.
Various receivers, transceivers, and broadband antennas.
kiwiSDR receiver on private LAN for multi-freq HF monitoring.