We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: ICOM IC-736 lazy 'S' meter...  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
ICOM IC-736 lazy 'S' meter...
« on: September 01, 2018, 0632 UTC »
Just picked up a secondhand Icom IC-736 HF/50MHz transceiver very cheap, works great and in excellent condition, receives well compared to my other gear, but seems to have a very lazy analogue signal strength meter.

Around four signal units discrepancy compared to the FT-2000D and IC R-75 (which has crappy digital meter I generally ignore.).

No owners manual came with it, so prior to searching for a JPEG version on line, does any of our esteemed group know how to do a 'S' meter calibration? :)
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline didu heardat

• View Profile
Re: ICOM IC-736 lazy 'S' meter...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 1014 UTC »

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 2000 UTC »
I'd be looking out for any sensitivity issues, but perhaps it is simply a low reading smeter. Icom often set their hf rigs to read s9 at 14uv with preamp on, and the standard 50uv with the preamp off. You need to determine if the rig is as sensitive as designed and if not, fix it. Anyway, here's a link to mods.dk, join if you're not a member and you can make one dl per day for free, they have the service manual.

https://www.mods.dk/manual.php?brand=icom
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 0252 UTC »
"didu hearthat" yep, the attenuator is turned off, after 45 years as a licensed radio amateur I think I would look at that as obvious?  ;D

Josh there is little variation with the pre amp on or off on low bands but a two or three 'S' point gain above 2MHz.  It's hearing quiet well but compared to the other two radio sets on same frequency the 'S' meter is very lethargic, around four units down in comparison. 

I had an IC-736 prior to this one for a number of years and the 'S' meter in that seemed fine.

Otherwise, great little radio as a spare!  Thanks for the link Josh, will have a look at that later. ;)
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline didu heardat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 1058 UTC »
you could just use it as is  ;)
here the service manual
http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/ICOM_HF/IC-736_IC-738_serv.pdf