We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Ionospheric Radio Propagation  (Read 2067 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Ionospheric Radio Propagation
« on: September 08, 2018, 2328 UTC »
I am about half way through this excellent text https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/Legacy/MONO/nbsmonograph80.pdf

There's a section on Skip Distance Focusing (page 226) that describe exactly the effect I noticed when a station is going long, the sudden increase in signal strength before it does. Now I have the official name for the phenomena  ;D
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Terry

• SE Florida
  • North Fork St. Lucie River
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ionospheric Radio Propagation
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 0156 UTC »
Interesting and a good catch. I hear in almost daily around gray line on the 40 meter DX group I listen to. It is like someone throws a switch. BTW, I went and found my hard copy of the book. The price printed on the title page was $2.75. 1965  printing. Big money for a newlywed. And still married to the same woman. :)
Thanks for posting. I need to re read the whole book.
QTH Florida's Treasure Coast, near Stuart 100 mi N of Miami Grid locator EL97uf
Equipment: Kenwood TS-480SAT, R-600, Yaesu FT-857D, R. S. SW portable (Sangean), R.S. Pro-106 Scanner 25-1300 MHz, HyGain 18AVQII, M2 6M 3 el beam, Misc verticals and dipoles
Terry

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns