We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 160-190 Khz licenced users  (Read 1519 times)

Offline ThElectriCat

• Hillsboro OR
    • View Profile
160-190 Khz licenced users
« on: September 16, 2018, 1834 UTC »
I know anyone is allowed to transmit on this band given less than one watt final stage input power (excluding filament) and the antenna is not more than 15 meters in any dimension.
But does anyone even use this band, or are all the signals either unlicensed, or incedental.
I have not hear much on this and, save the odd QRSS carrier, or noise from digital devices, dimmers cars, etc.

Has anyone found out about any other regular users not in the domain of part 15?
In another life, I could have been a telephone engineer.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: 160-190 Khz licenced users
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 1927 UTC »
There's a few LOWFERs still on the air, a list is here: http://www.lwca.org/sitepage/part15/lfmain.htm
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Boriken

• Western North Carolina
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 2011 UTC »
Didn't see any "commercial" licenses listed in the FCC ULS database, wireless.fcc.gov/uls.

There are a handful of Part 5 experimental licenses, apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/els/reports/GenericSearch.cfm.

The power company has some PLC (power line carrier) systems in use for substation protection.

Guess that just leaves the LW broadcasters.

Scott
Scott / WB4YZA
Western North Carolina
Mosty homebrew, 100% analog

Offline ThElectriCat

• Hillsboro OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 2109 UTC »
I was not really looking for lowfers, but more what uses it might have in higher power realms, I know there are no official licensed users, but not every legal user is really listed. lots of military and DOD users are not. I know GWEN used to operate there, but Im curious whether anyone has taken up the slack save for the LOWfers.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 0453 UTC »
Those FM, plug-in, intercoms work there in that band and use the house wiring, i.e. Carrier-Current, at about 10mW RF OUT. Ranges of those outside the intended house vary from being stopped at the very 1st utility transformer, to reaching better than 1/4 mile down the street.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ThElectriCat

• Hillsboro OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 0720 UTC »
Interesting, my LF receiver has FM with a permissible bandwidth up to 16 Khz, I might have to build a carrier current transformer