We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Norfolk Naval Shipyard Radio Advisory 1630 KHZ 1800 UTC 20 Sept 2018  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
On Sept 20 in Va Beach , while parked at the city maintenance lot adjacent to Oceana Navy Airstation  watching the FA 18 Super Hornet demo practice, I happened to catch a public service message loop on 1630 khz.
It's a very short loop, mentioning Newport News shipyard.  This sounds to be  DHS influenced content, due to the tropes used by them , such as " if you see something , say something" , " remain vigilant on and off the job"  " although no terrorist, elevated alert" .   I could not hear it at any other location once I left.   This is directed to shipyard workers in Newport News or Norfolk Air Station?,  25_30 miles from the receiving location of the intersection of Oceana Blvd and First Colonial rd , which is across the street from " Giant Killer" HF  some of you may be familiar with.

I could not find any references in FCC TIS  that would identify it.   There were no call letters , just the short loop.
I will record it next time .  Maybe someone can find this stations call letters and location .  It was on the weak side , signal strength was not strong in the area of NAS Oceana.  I gave up searching for this.  Maybe one of you can locate this in FCc.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 2213 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Unid TIS-like 1630 KHZ 1800 UTC 20 Sept 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 1924 UTC »
Most likely this is the federally operated TIS station in Portsmouth, VA.  I have a copy of the federal TIS station database I recently obtained via a FOIA (Freedom Of Information Act) request. I am working on adding the stations to DX ToolBox, there are 318 of them.

It's in a horrible format, making it difficult to deal with in an automated way, so I need to manually edit it. I am sure that is purely coincidental  ;D

Here is the blurb on the station:
TRANSMITTER TO BE OPERATED IN THE EVENT OF A HURRICANE OR OTHER NATURAL
DISASTER PROVIDING INFORMATION TO THE MILITARY AND LOCAL COMMUNITY
TRANSMITTER TO BE OPERATED IN THE EVENT OF A DISASTER, NATURAL OR
OTHERWISE TO PROVIDE INFORMATION TO NORFOLK NAVAL . SHIPYARD AND LOCAL
COMMUNITY.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 2336 UTC »
 Thanks Chris

I rode by there today on the way to work.  It's coming from the airbase .   There was a lot of noise yesterday , but they do say Navy Shipyard in Norfolk (correction) They must have used the recording from there .   I recorded it from another location , somewhat better but it's weak outside the fence . 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VQiF4s0XHJ4&feature=youtu.be

Someone call the phone number and say you saw a bird in your yard
I would do it but I still need to work for some more years
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 0515 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Folded dipole

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 1828 UTC »
Probably due to the ships that were sent out to sea during Florence and planes sent elsewhere for safekeeping coming back.

My cousin's husband worked in the shipyards in the region for decades, warnings like this after a hurricane are SOP, but I've never heard of them using a radio station to send out the warning? The chaos generated by a big storm and reduced staff is perfect for someone w/ bad intentions to sneak into the facilities.

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 2014 UTC »
There's an air show this weekend at Oceana , the general public + Master Jet base 'n all.   I guess what was confusing was it's nowhere near  the shipyard , out of normal range for a TIS anyway.  After I went back, and with what Chris posted- I think they just borrowed the tx and didn't bother to change the NNS loop.   
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 2214 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Folded dipole

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
Re: Norfolk Naval Shipyard Radio Advisory 1630 KHZ 1800 UTC 20 Sept 2018
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 2248 UTC »
"The chaos generated by a big storm and reduced staff is perfect for someone w/ bad intentions to sneak into the facilities."

Even Pigmeat is sounding paranoid these days! What gives?!?!?

Offline Terry

• SE Florida
  • North Fork St. Lucie River
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 0108 UTC »
Pigmeat isn't paranoid, he discovered they really are out to get him. :)
QTH Florida's Treasure Coast, near Stuart 100 mi N of Miami Grid locator EL97uf
Equipment: Kenwood TS-480SAT, R-600, Yaesu FT-857D, R. S. SW portable (Sangean), R.S. Pro-106 Scanner 25-1300 MHz, HyGain 18AVQII, M2 6M 3 el beam, Misc verticals and dipoles
Terry

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 0213 UTC »
When the Vietnam War was raging I was growing up in a chemical plant town that produced the majority of the Agent Orange used there. We had the same type of message as that broadcast pounded into our heads until Saigon fell. That kind of brainwashing is hard to shake. They should have warned us about that plant, it blew up twice. The entire end of town where the plant was is a big time cancer hot spot.

I remember their slogan,"Monsanto: Better Living Through Chemistry." lol.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 1711 UTC »
That reminded me, couple months ago I was hearing fighter jets one weekend. Latter that week on the news I heard that there had been an air show and they were wondering why attendance was down 75% from the last one. Well DUH! You didn't advertise it!

Look at the list of things they said were good.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 1713 UTC by JimIO »