We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What's up with WLO Marine?  (Read 3099 times)

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
What's up with WLO Marine?
« on: September 30, 2018, 1710 UTC »
I've been a fan of demodulating the RTTY/SITOR-B weather and anti-piracy transmissions from WLO Marine for years. However, it appears that they are no longer active.

I just checked the WLO Marine / Shipcom website and the page is now mostly blank, except for a post dated September 30, 2018 that says "Coming Back Soon."

Anyone know what the story is with this?

Thanks,

Curt / W9SPY

Offline prldx

• View Profile
Re: What's up with WLO Marine?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 1900 UTC »
Rx: AR7030 / Perseus
Ant: MK-1

"Radio was an exciting new invention that made it possible to hear other people´s voices in your living room without the use of thin walls or a devastating mental condition" (Cunk on Britain Ep 4)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 1912 UTC »
"The WLO maritime coast station service, under new ownership, continues at a new location.
Currently offering automated data service. Further new services in development
PeterPKierans@gmail.com"
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 2359 UTC »
Thanks for the replies. Sad to hear that WLO is not going to be available anymore.

Man, RTTY is my favorite digital mode, but it is becoming almost extinct on the air, at least from the commercial side of things (weather, news, etc.).

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 1558 UTC »
Come to think of it I haven't heard the WLO beacon on 8.420MHz CW for a few weeks now, just dismissed it as poor propagation, maybe it's not even on air?

Would be a pity if its gone as a good propagation indicator in our evenings to the USA. :(
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline shadypyro

• British Columbia Canada
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 2109 UTC »
That's sad, i also haven't heard 6318 CW from Seattle in a while. Could it been off the air or something?
Tecsun PL-880, MLA-30 plus loop antenna. Various sdrs.

Please eQSL to deserthawk1990@hotmail.com

Offline RST111

• 30 miles east of Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 0247 UTC »
That's sad, i also haven't heard 6318 CW from Seattle in a while. Could it been off the air or something?

I'm right by Seattle, so I tuned in and am receiving nothing.  Doing a little digging, it turns out KLB (6318 Seattle) is also owned by ShipCom, the owners of WLO.

So probably in the same situation.  :(
Pls qsl to rst111@protonmail.com ty!

QTH: 30mi East of Seattle

IC-R75, Afedri SDR, Airspy Discovery, Stridsberg HF Multicoupler, MFJ-1020C, Palomar CMNF-6, 40m dipole @ 100' AGL

Offline shadypyro

• British Columbia Canada
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 1850 UTC »

I'm right by Seattle, so I tuned in and am receiving nothing.  Doing a little digging, it turns out KLB (6318 Seattle) is also owned by ShipCom, the owners of WLO.

So probably in the same situation.  :(

That's a bummer :( I am gonna remove the frequency off of my pl-600 later on
Tecsun PL-880, MLA-30 plus loop antenna. Various sdrs.

Please eQSL to deserthawk1990@hotmail.com

Offline ka3jjz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2023, 2308 UTC »
WLO was gone for a long time, now it's back with test transmissions at various times on 8788 khz USB. Widely reported on the RadioRef utilities forum and also mentioned on the UDXF forum.  No known solid schedule yet, so it's catch as catch can

Mike

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2023, 2325 UTC »
Please see the thread bellow for further details.

WLO Mobile, AL USA 8788 USB 1117 UTC 09 MAR 2023
https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,110909.msg354181.html#msg354181

Offline jasmine

• Seattle
  • Riding the (electromagnetic) waves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2023, 1024 UTC »
WLO was gone for a long time, now it's back with test transmissions at various times on 8788 khz USB. Widely reported on the RadioRef utilities forum and also mentioned on the UDXF forum.  No known solid schedule yet, so it's catch as catch can

Mike

Its return was first logged by me here on HFU which SIGNIT just referenced. https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,110909.msg354181.html

Not long after I made that post, I emailed Hugh Stegman at the Spectrum Monitor a few days later and he started doing some research and asking around on UDXF. He also said I beat the UDXF people by a little over a week.  :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 1027 UTC by jasmine »
SDRPlay RSP1a, Airspy HF+Discovery, Malahit Clone with v1.10D & MLA-30+ Magnetic Loop Antenna

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns