We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Relay station? 6880 AM 1453 UTC 05 OCT 2018  (Read 3393 times)

Offline IQ_imbalance

• Central MD
    • View Profile
Relay station? 6880 AM 1453 UTC 05 OCT 2018
« on: October 05, 2018, 1455 UTC »
1453:  Pink Floyd "Shine on..."  S1-2 with deep fades. SIO 222 ish
1457:  Pink Floyd "Fat old sun" (according to Siri).  Signal pumping up ....S3-5, SIO 344
1503:  Continuing w/ Pink Floyd!  "What do you want from me".  Signal trying to settle down to a stable S3. 
1508:  Pink Floyd "Time". 
1509:  Big time (lol) fade.  Still have the carrier at S4 but no audio.
1511: Back on the air.  Must have been changing carts or turntables.  LOL! (Siri ID) "Charity" by someone. 

Thanks for the workday show!

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 1512 UTC by rwfisheriv »
LOG/NE-SW unterminated BOG/DJ-130/800Mhz Yagi
AFEDRI SDR-Net ICF-SC1 SDS-200 various RTL-SDR
Central MD

Offline TheRelayStation

• 5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
    • View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
Re: Relay station? 6880 AM 1453 UTC 05 OCT 2018
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 1520 UTC »
1453:  Pink Floyd "Shine on..."  S1-2 with deep fades. SIO 222 ish
1457:  Pink Floyd "Fat old sun" (according to Siri).  Signal pumping up ....S3-5, SIO 344
1503:  Continuing w/ Pink Floyd!  "What do you want from me".  Signal trying to settle down to a stable S3. 
1508:  Pink Floyd "Time". 
1509:  Big time (lol) fade.  Still have the carrier at S4 but no audio.
1511: Back on the air.  Must have been changing carts or turntables.  LOL! (Siri ID) "Charity" by someone. 

Thanks for the workday show!
good morning, happy friday rwfisheriv  !
im doing a workday daytime broadcast today at 50W with a mix of various tunes (playlist i made with about 80 tunes) also testing out the windows XP installation (modified as a "POS" to get the updates) that hosts the music and sound processor.
a few issues were noted as may have been heard (skipping audio), we'll see how this system holds up for the day since i have not had a chance to fully test out the operation.
i hope the tunes and sound quality are okay for anyone who may be listening and enjoying them, apologies if you may have heard them already from my last broadcast awhile back, this is really just a test today since i have had some serious antenna issues and PC issues that i have since corrected.
hmm, ill have to figure out how to get H.264 playback.
its great to see you guys here in HFU ;)
finally - got H.264 playback to work using FF on windows XP.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 1748 UTC by TheRelayStation »
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com
https://vaughn.live/cabletv

Offline slowtrain

• DX Legend
  • Central Savannah River Area of South Carolina
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Slow Train
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 1522 UTC »
I am hearing some music at 15:20UTC do not know the song happen to see it on HF Underground. Signal is S7 here in Western South Carolina!
Hearing a song called Mad World by Michael Andrews and Gary Jules at 15:25 UTC some fading is taking place!
Live in the Moment by Portugal:The Man at 15:26UTC
Life to Fix by The Record Company at 15:30UTC conditions are deep fading taking place!
Steal my kisses by Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals at 15:35UTC.
Hot thoughts by Spoon at 15:38UTC. Thanks for the show!!!!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 1539 UTC by slowtrain »
Brant Hunt 
Eton E1XM Radio Sony ICF-2010 Radio
Alpha Delta Ultra DX antenna
300ft beverage antenna
W6LVP Loop Antenna use for AM dxing and SWL

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 1540 UTC »
After hunting around for a suitable SDR, am finally copying Relay Station with a fair signal at the kiwi SDR in Beaufort, South Carolina. I didn't try every single one in the NE or mid Atlantic, but the signal wasn't coming into the ones that I tried. Thanks for the show!
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 1631 UTC »
S2_ here playing Zombie / bad wolves at 1630
1634 Imagine Dragons/ whatever it takes
1644 Portugal The Man/ feel it still      decent signal S5
1657 I have lost all audio here over the last several minutes
1839 periods of a decent signal, then long fades lasting up to 30 mins
1922 sounding great with Arcade Fire

Thanks for the day signal TRS
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 1944 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

Offline Radio Station

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 1712 UTC »
1650.   Good signal S7 on a online SDR no problem with the playlist of songs it is nice to hear good songs again. No need to apologize. That's what good radio is all about. I still run XP hear it was a really good operating system. Also running windows 10. Very nice audio response also with the lows and highs EQ' ed nicely.  :)
Radio station

Offline hammarhead

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 1746 UTC »
S7 signal into NE Ohio at 1746 UTC.

Offline TheRelayStation

• View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 1758 UTC »
1650.   Good signal S7 on a online SDR no problem with the playlist of songs it is nice to hear good songs again. No need to apologize. That's what good radio is all about. I still run XP hear it was a really good operating system. Also running windows 10. Very nice audio response also with the lows and highs EQ' ed nicely.  :)
yes, i agree about XP, i had some serious un-correctable issues with windows 7 ultimate on the first disk drive, so i switched to the second disk drive (laptop has dual disk drives) that had windows xp pro on it as a backup in case i needed to repair the hive for windows 7 which unfortunately, could not be corrected, the backup hive in CONFIG was also non-usable.
i discovered that ST operates at 17% CPU on XP versus 34% CPU on windows 7 with the same settings (average CPU on a ten year old modified laptop used for the station).
i had to change the registry key to enable "POS" in order to get the windows updates (continuous through 2019) and "modify" firefox config settings as well as install the Adobe DRM content DLL's in order to play DRM protected content and H.264/AVC content.
it looks like i got all the issues and bugs corrected including the sample rate and bit depth for the sound card and sound control settings on XP to match for ST as well as buffer-underrun issues for those settings, windows XP does not have any GUI properties method to change the sample rate and bit depth for the sound settings as opposed to win 7 and win 10 which do.
XP actually operates much better on this ten year old laptop anyway, its perfect for this operation, CPU is much less and it stays much cooler.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 1805 UTC by TheRelayStation »
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com

Offline Radio Station

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 1852 UTC »
yes, i agree about XP, i had some serious un-correctable issues with windows 7 ultimate on the first disk drive, so i switched to the second disk drive (laptop has dual disk drives) that had windows xp pro on it as a backup in case i needed to repair the hive for windows 7 which unfortunately, could not be corrected, the backup hive in CONFIG was also non-usable.
i discovered that ST operates at 17% CPU on XP versus 34% CPU on windows 7 with the same settings (average CPU on a ten year old modified laptop used for the station).
i had to change the registry key to enable "POS" in order to get the windows updates (continuous through 2019) and "modify" firefox config settings as well as install the Adobe DRM content DLL's in order to play DRM protected content and H.264/AVC content.
it looks like i got all the issues and bugs corrected including the sample rate and bit depth for the sound card and sound control settings on XP to match for ST as well as buffer-underrun issues for those settings, windows XP does not have any GUI properties method to change the sample rate and bit depth for the sound settings as opposed to win 7 and win 10 which do.
XP actually operates much better on this ten year old laptop anyway, its perfect for this operation, CPU is much less and it stays much cooler.

1840. Yes that's what I liked about XP. It uses less CPU. As far as the sample rate with the correct sound card driver the app should be able to select the rate. I run 192 kHz M Audio card and a 4 channel behringer 192 KHz USB with no problem with SDR and sound editing. I like windows 10 but it has more background services running. When win 10 calms down it is very close to the low CPU as XP. To help this I sometimes stop some of the services. I still need to tweak Win 10 more. Cool on the updates on XP. You may want to look and see if anyone has written a GUI for XP.
Radio station

Offline TheRelayStation

• View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 1911 UTC »

1840. Yes that's what I liked about XP. It uses less CPU. As far as the sample rate with the correct sound card driver the app should be able to select the rate. I run 192 kHz M Audio card and a 4 channel behringer 192 KHz USB with no problem with SDR and sound editing. I like windows 10 but it has more background services running. When win 10 calms down it is very close to the low CPU as XP. To help this I sometimes stop some of the services. I still need to tweak Win 10 more. Cool on the updates on XP. You may want to look and see if anyone has written a GUI for XP.
i can certainly help you with win 10 to reduce running services among other things but the OS is designed to be dependent on certain services to boot up and operate because of its configuration build type, you may lose some core OS functionality with win10 if certain services at set to manual (never set them to disable, OS will crash on certain ones being disabled since the OS cannot "call" them if they are critically dependent and disabled).
my issue is i am using the built-in sound card on windows XP so there is no method to change the sample rate and bit rate other than using some third party tools.
the application for the built-in sound card also does not have the ability to change the sample rate & bit depth, id rather not buy an expensive sound card just to change the sample rate and bit depth especially on a ten year old laptop when it is possible to do it within XP albeit with some technical challenges, third party applications and intimate knowledge of the registry hive.
i may get around to installing windows 10 pro on the first disk drive since there is much more i can do on win10 versus windows XP without having to go to extreme lengths of registry hive modifications on XP in order to obtain the functionality that i desire for many applications that are no longer supported by those authors.
some x32 applications meant for windows 10 can be installed on XP in this manner, the Kernel is basically the same between win10 and XP except 16 bit applications are not supported in windows 10 at all.
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 2050 UTC »
on 6880,0
2030 trace, 2046 a second trace on 6882,0
2048 some music, very weak, noise, atmos
2052 the other carrier now on 6882,15
trace again
2150 very weak music
2202 lost
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 2204 UTC by Ray Lalleu »
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
***** Mes pages OEM sont bloquées par "le club", alors pour les recevoir, joignez-moi par les autres membres ****

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 2059 UTC »
I miss XP, too. You could basically produce an entire show with the included settings. Windows 10 is too damned finicky for me.

Offline TheRelayStation

• View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 2116 UTC »
I miss XP, too. You could basically produce an entire show with the included settings. Windows 10 is too damned finicky for me.
not to get too much off topic but the discussion is good one, i have a great intimate deep knowledge of all windows OS's since windows for workgroups 3.11.
there are many from MS that were really great like XP and many that were absolutely terrible like windows millennium.
windows 10 is a "layered" OS, in many aspects this is a great thing for knowledgeable power users like myself.
i will continue to use XP when the EOL is finally put down (no more POS updates) for certain situations and for older hardware.
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 2124 UTC »
I've been parked on 6880 for the last half hour with some hints of a trace of threshold audio and suddenly at 2122 UTC the signal faded up nicely for about a minute with "Low"-Cracker  :)
2137 UTC Signal up just a bit again with "Come A Little Closer"-Cage the Elephant
2138 UTC "Cigarette Daydreams"-Cage the Elephant
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 2140 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 2125 UTC »
2125 Just a faint carrier here.
2155 Some music now. Still weak.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 2155 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree