We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Odd sig ~6920 - 6970 kHz, ~1210 - 1230 05oct UTC  (Read 2325 times)

Offline WA4FHY

• View Profile
    • Email
Odd sig ~6920 - 6970 kHz, ~1210 - 1230 05oct UTC
« on: October 06, 2018, 0140 UTC »
I noticed this sig while having coffee this morning. I don't recall seeing anything similar before. I don't know how long it had been on before I saw it and it wandered around a bit - seemed random to me. Anyone have any ideas as to what it was?

On a totally different note and very short notice --- Is anyone else from the middle TN / central KY area planning to go to the Vettte City (Bowling Green) hamfest tomorrow morning? It's at a new venue this year - on the campus of WKY University. It's just a quick run up I-65 for me. I'll probably be wearing my "Official RF Whatever Bunker" t-shirt 8)

Drat!!! I don't see a place to include attachments anymore??? Sorry, no image...

OK, thanks to radiogaga, try clicking, or copy and paste into a new browser tab, this url and you should see 2 screen prints of the waterfall:

https://imgur.com/a/T1nxX9k
==========================================

Latest - with MUCH thanks to all! - let's see what this does...

AMAZING!!!! Thanks to MDK2 for pointing me in the right direction but I still had to do some digging. I thought that after way too many years in computer systems and networks I could do anything - very humbling. :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 0007 UTC by WA4FHY »
SDR-IQ / IC-R70 / IC-735 / FT-817ND / FT-991A, RSPduo,5 band vertical
Near Music City, TN

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Odd sig ~6920 - 6970 kHz, ~1210 - 1230 05oct UTC
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 1415 UTC »
Without a recording or an image not sure I can help you.  However, during that time I had a Chinese surface wave radar (OTHR SW) in that frequency range so possibly that is the answer.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline WA4FHY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 1849 UTC »
Token,
Thanks for the reply. I have several screen shots of the waterfall, but when I tried to attach them, there was no option to do so. I don't understand, as I've posted screenshots in the past.

When I click on "Attachments and other options" all I see is 4 check boxes: "Notify me of replies", "Return to this topic", "Lock this topic", and "Dom't use smileys". I know I'm old(er) but am I missing something???
Thanks, Paul
Near Music City, TN

Offline radiogaga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 1927 UTC »
Paul, attachments are disabled.
Upload here:
https://imgur.com/upload

Put that url in between image tags.

[𝖴𝖱𝖫]𝗁𝗍𝗍𝗉𝗌://𝗂.𝗂𝗆𝗀𝗎𝗋.𝖼𝗈𝗆/𝖪𝟣𝖹𝖪𝖳𝟣𝖺.𝗃𝗉𝗀[/𝖴𝖱𝖫]
Image tags are inside the brackets, img

Post that info here, it will show up.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 1934 UTC by radiogaga »

Offline WA4FHY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 2032 UTC »
radiogaga,
Thanks. Let me see if I can do that right. I wondered if attachments had been turned off; I seem to recall a post from Chris, sometime ago, asking users to limit posting of images in order to conserve storage space.

https://imgur.com/a/T1nxX9k

That appears to work.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 2034 UTC by WA4FHY »
Near Music City, TN

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 2044 UTC »
To get your actual image from imgur to show as a picture within the body of the post, click the image after you upload it, then click on the COPY button for "BB Code" to copy the link with the proper html code to your clipboard. Then paste it into the body of the comment. For example:

All credit for this tip is due to Skipmuck. Thanks, Skipmuck!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 2046 UTC by MDK2 »
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 1536 UTC »
OK, I have no idea what the mystery signal is.

At first looking at your images I assumed it might be some kind of RFI, and probably local to you.  It looks unstructured and incoherent.

However, I also receive it here (and on several remotes around the country), so it is not local to you, and appears to have some slight power behind it.

With having said I have no idea what it is, let me back pedal just a second.  I have seen similar, but not identical, signals before.  In the past I saw a spurious emission from a jammer that had a similar looking shape and drifting action.  I don't know if that could be a candidate for the source of your signal, but if we could tie down start / stop times, and if they correlated to other signal start / stop times, that might be an indicator.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline WA4FHY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 1805 UTC »
Well, that's interesting and thanks for your comments and observations on remote rcvrs. As you can see, I do have way too much local RFI but that's a new one for me. I usually have the rcvr parked on 6925 USB, like in the screenshot I posted, if I'm not doing anything else. I am going to watch more and if it becomes frequent, I'll start making recordings in order to try and get more info - like better start and stop times and build a folder of screenshots. As of now, I haven't seen it again...
Near Music City, TN

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns