We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FCC seeks limits on protection for 50,000 watt Class A AM stations  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Not a crime in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
Here's the first page of the proposal below you can go to the website to open the complete file:

Wolfman, where are thou when we need you?

https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-proposes-revised-interference-protection-class-am-stations

Federal Communications Commission
FCC 18-139
 Before the
Federal Communications Commission Washington, D.C. 20554
In the Matter of ) )
Revitalization of the AM Radio Service ) MB Docket No. 13-249 SECOND FURTHER NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULEMAKING
Adopted: October 5, 2018 Released: October 5, 2018
Comment Date: (60 days after date of publication in the Federal Register)
Reply Comment Date: (90 days after date of publication in the Federal Register)
By the Commission: Commissioner O’Rielly issuing a statement.
I. INTRODUCTION
1. This Second Further Notice of Proposed Rule Making (SFNPRM), as part of our ongoing effort to assist AM broadcast stations in providing full-time service to their local communities, sets forth revised alternative proposals regarding interference protection to Class A AM radio stations. The Commission, in the Further Notice of Proposed Rule Making in this proceeding,1 sought comment on technical proposals to reduce the nighttime protection afforded to wide-area coverage Class A stations, to enable more local AM stations to increase their nighttime service that is currently curtailed by the need to protect Class A stations’ service areas. While many commenters supported or rejected the Commission’s proposals as set forth in the AMR FNPRM, a number of commenters proposed thoughtful and evidence- based alternatives to the Commission’s proposals.
2. We therefore present one new proposal for the protection of Class A AM stations during the day, and two alternative proposals for critical hours protection, as well as two alternative proposals for protection of Class A AM stations at night.2 These alternative proposals are designed to preserve some of Class A stations’ wide area coverage, while relieving more local stations of their current obligation to protect Class A stations from interference. Our proposals should enable local stations to provide greater and improved local service to their communities, especially at night. In addition, we ask commenters to provide more detailed information regarding the effect of reduced Class A protection on the functioning of the Emergency Alert System (EAS) and the Integrated Public Alert and Warning System (IPAWS). Finally, although we do not revise the Commission’s proposals with regard to daytime protection for Class B, C, and D stations, or for changes to nighttime root-sum-square (RSS) calculation methodology, we invite input on whether commenters’ positions on those proposals would change in light of our revised proposals to modify Class A protections.
II. DISCUSSION
A. Change Nighttime and Critical Hours Protection to Class A AM Stations
3. Background. Class A AM stations are authorized to broadcast at up to 50 kW both day and night and, by current rule, are designed to render primary and secondary service over extended areas.3
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 1302 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Re: FCC seeks limits on protection for 50,000 watt Class A AM stations
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 1354 UTC »
So basically they want to increase power limits for local stations since more listeners stick to local AM stations (even after sunset) instead of listening to clear channel stations from further away.

A friend of mine who is a big baseball and football fan spends long periods of time in his car daily and was very grateful when I helped him install a new radio in his car and then programmed the AM presets with both the local sports stations and the big 50 kW powerhouses out of New York City and Washington, D.C. for nighttime listening - plus the local powerhouse WRVA on 1140 kHz for day and night listening, now that they carry the Washington Nationals - while driving up and down Interstate 95. 

After he complained about the local AM sports stations (WXGI 950 kHz and WRNL 910 kHz) "not working as well" at night, especially WXGI's 45 watt nighttime Class D signal I attempted to explain the reason certain AM stations reduce power at night.

The point being that the powerhouse 50 kW stations are still listened to in their "secondary" service area...but where do you draw the line?  Is the potential for interference with a distant station worth increasing power for local listeners?

Completely removing the interference protection from these stations would have a detrimental effect on the quality of service for at least some listeners.  As far as local stations dropping down to piss weak power levels after dark and having to deal with the issues that come with it...the local station I'm using as an example (WXGI) simply set up three simulcast transmitters (one on another AM frequency (this one actually does 1kw day and night [WTPS] about 25 miles away and two on higher power FM frequencies).  They're actually heavily advertising the fact that they're simulcast on FM now anyway (even though the FM broadcasts are technically translators of the actual AM signal on 950 kHz.

It would also be a real shame to dilute the magic of tuning across the MW AM broadcast band in the middle of a cold winter night using an old analog portable radio and hearing stations from all across the country. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 1356 UTC by R4002 »
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 1423 UTC »
My thoughts exactly but “follow the money”.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 1454 UTC »
What do you mean exactly in this context?

I know the FCC is a classic example of regulatory capture, but what do the large radio networks have to gain by increasing interference on the mediumwave AM broadcast band at nighttime? 

U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 1519 UTC »
Somewhere groups of smaller station owners will profit by limiting Class A stations at night - I’m thinking like 1100 am WHLI vs WTAM

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 1530 UTC »
Somewhere groups of smaller station owners will profit by limiting Class A stations at night - I’m thinking like 1100 am WHLI vs WTAM

The daytimers certainly have a lot to gain - those which have to completely shut down or severely reduce power (although, as I mentioned, some stations have already started to mitigate this by simulcasting on the FM band using translators 100% of the time - at the expense of an ever-increasingly congested FM band). 

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 1707 UTC »
IIRC the rules on clear channel AM stations were previously changed many years ago, before that they had much more protection.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 1715 UTC »
I kind of experienced that with FM. In the early 1980's DX'ing routinely from various cities daily from Buffalo / Niagara Falls, Rochester, Syracuse, Toronto, London, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Erie, Cleveland, Toledo, Binghamton, Utica, London, ON, etc. Back then, when smaller towns had FM stations, they'd sign-off at midnight, opening more chances with DX'ing FM. Then, in the late 80's, 90's, and especially now, came every crap town starting an FM station and the total littering of translators. FM DX'ing is pretty much a thing of the past for me now. And, it looks like it's going to happen now on the AM band. Won't be able to DX 1110kHz if Hurricane, WV goes 24/7 there. That's one example. 1030kHz is another one if Galapolis, OH on that FREQ goes 24/7. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 1725 UTC »
FM translators make up a sizable percentage of the stations now on my local FM dial.  Some of them are simulcasts of AM stations but most of them are HD radio subchannel simulcasts branding themselves as a distinct radio station.  Of course, most listeners using analog AM/FM car radios don't know any difference unless they actually pay attention to the TOH ID.

The FM band locally has gotten more and more congested as these translators/simulcasting becomes more common.  FM DXing is still possible, but the "empty spaces" between strong local stations are getting smaller and smaller. 

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns