We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: How to properly make chicken wings  (Read 4117 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
How to properly make chicken wings
« on: October 16, 2018, 1445 UTC »
I used to live in the Buffalo area back in the 70s, so this is my attempt to create as authentic of a wing experience as possible:

First get your deep fryer going. Yes, deep fryer, not the oven. This isn't Shake and Bake chicken.  Ideally, you want to use peanut oil of course. I set the temperature to 400F.  I like the Presto Kettle cooker: https://www.amazon.com/Presto-Kitchen-Kettle-Multi-Cooker-Steamer/dp/B002JM202I?tag=blackcatsyste-20 

Take your wings, and cut them into thirds. We'll use the wingettes and drummettes, you can keep the tips for making stock, or discard them.  I like to use a pair of kitchen shears, you can use a knife as well. Breaking the joint first by bending it can sometimes help to get a clean separation without any jagged ends.

Deep fry in small batches for 10-12 minutes. You can tell when deep fried food is done, it floats to the surface, and there is less bubbling as there is less steam escaping from the food. Golden Brown and Delicious, as Alton Brown would say. Don't crowd the deep fryer with too much food, it drops the oil temperature too far. In the large kettle cooker I can do up to a dozen wing pieces at a time.

Place on a plate with paper towels to cool and dry, and most importantly for any residual steam to escape from the wings. If you don't do this, and throw them directly into the sauce, it will get watered down.

Speaking of the sauce...  melt butter and mix with an equal amount of Franks Red Hot Sauce. I find that 3 tablespoons each of butter and Franks makes enough sauce for about two dozen wings (wing pieces, or a dozen whole wings) This makes the "mild" wing sauce.  Add Tabasco hot sauce to increase the heat level. In my case I find 50 or 60 shakes of Tabasco is enough to raise it to a extra hot level. You can experiment to find what works well for you. I prepare well before mealtime, and let the wings sit for a while in the hot sauce before eating them, this seems to let the sauce soak in, and probably simulates the ride home from the wing shop.

Put the wings and sauce in a container with a lid and shake to coat.  Serve optionally with the traditional slices of celery and/or bleu cheese dip. Enjoy!
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline moof

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to properly make chicken wings
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 2049 UTC »
Sounds awesome.  I personally dislike tabasco. Not very hot and very vinegary.  Try ya some -el yucateco-- red.  It is significantly hotter, no vinegar, and about $2 a bottle at wallyworld. Omg got to figure out how to not auto spell check.  It would not take the brand name and kept correcting it to do hydrated - there i just typed the name again.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 1905 UTC »
El Yucateco hot sauces are made from Habanero peppers, the red kicks hard, but the green is a skull lifter.

I like Valentina, followed by Tapatio and Cholula. They all have more of a chili flavor than Tabasco. Use any of those and a few scant drops of the Yucateco Red if you want to play nice with your dinner guests. Mix the red and green in with your hot sauce of choice if you want to get rid of them.

The only thing my late FIL and I could agree on was hot sauce improves everything.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 2113 UTC »
Cholula is the best evar!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline moof

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 2156 UTC »
BLARG!  To the refined hot sauce palate all are like vinegar other than the cheapo -el yucateco-.  Even rooster sauce is preferable to me.  Try you some Ring of Fire habanero for some tasty sauce.  Or for more of an orange-y BBQ like taste, Crazy Jerry's Brozac.  I make my own but mainly only buy the mentioned ones.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 2226 UTC »
BLARG!  To the refined hot sauce palate all are like vinegar other than the cheapo -el yucateco-.  Even rooster sauce is preferable to me.  Try you some Ring of Fire habanero for some tasty sauce.  Or for more of an orange-y BBQ like taste, Crazy Jerry's Brozac.  I make my own but mainly only buy the mentioned ones.

I used to trade cigars with a guy in pre-Katrina New Orleans that made his own habanero salsa. It was nothing to play around with. I lost track of him in the series of moves he and his wife had to make after the storm.

There's a Thai lady up the hill that makes a concoction that will peel the inside of your mouth. She looks about forty but she's got a good ten to twelve years on me and I'm well past forty, so it must be good for you? It usually goes to the local Thai community, but if she likes you, you get a jar for Xmas. It's similar to Sriracha sauce, but cranked up quite a bit. The local Thai's simply refer to her sauce as "Thai Sauce".

It says "Hello" when it goes down, and bids you a long slow goodbye when it comes out the other end a day or two later.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 2239 UTC »
You're all welcome to use whatever hot sauces you like. As the thread title suggests, the purpose was to explain how to properly make chicken wings  ;D
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 2245 UTC »
I like my buthole too much to sear it like you guys do yours.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 2344 UTC »
That is the exact method I use, even the Presto cooker.  I don't add any hot sauces other than the Frank's.
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.

Offline radiogaga

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 0050 UTC »

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 0124 UTC »
If authenticity is the goal, then Frank's Hot Sauce is the ingredient. But Tabasco is good too. Tangy>heat any day.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 0014 UTC »
It makes sense. In many parts of the country the only hot sauces you could usually find were, Frank's, Texas Pete, Tabasco, and if lucky, possibly a Goya or Old El Paso specialty line.

BBQ sauce isn't included. I've had some beer joint BBQ sauces over the years that should have been explored for potential chemical weapons applications.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 0157 UTC »
Of course, if heat's your thing... (skip to about 4:45 for the good stuff)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rerj92ZPuV4
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 0511 UTC by MDK2 »
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Fansome

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 2218 UTC »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 2231 UTC »
Add a "b" and it would be "Belinda's". Your unnatural love for that singing manatee is getting out of hand, Al.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns