We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Voice of Nigeria 7255 kHz AM 0600 UTC 23 Oct 2018  (Read 865 times)

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
Voice of Nigeria 7255 kHz AM 0600 UTC 23 Oct 2018
« on: October 24, 2018, 0001 UTC »
I stayed up late here on the West Coast when I found that the unknown utility station that's been sitting on 7255 kHz and blocking reception of Voice of Nigeria here for months was missing. I caught the flute sound in the interval signal just as 0600 UTC came up, followed by programming in presumed Hausa.

The talking was audible, but mostly not copiable; possibly undermodulated in addition to just being weak through the noise. By 0626 UTC, the talking was still audible, but the noise was winning. (This morning, I discovered my teenager left his RFI-producing bathroom fan on last night, which accounts for the increased noise floor!)
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: Voice of Nigeria 7255 kHz AM 0600 UTC 23 Oct 2018
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 0157 UTC »
I stayed up late here on the West Coast when I found that the unknown utility station that's been sitting on 7255 kHz and blocking reception of Voice of Nigeria here for months was missing. I caught the flute sound in the interval signal just as 0600 UTC came up, followed by programming in presumed Hausa.

That ute must be located near you. I don't always stay up that late (that's midnight here, though it will be 11:00 when we finally get off DST), but when I do I never have had QRM from a ute, or even hams. It does tend to be an undermodulated signal though, and it's always at 7254.92. The interesting thing is that their daytime broadcast on 9690 is exactly as far off frequency at 9689.92. Won't be able to get that one once REE moves to that spot when b17 takes effect.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail